Author Topic: More Visitors  (Read 246 times)

19and41

• View Profile
More Visitors
« on: May 29, 2017, 08:37:59 PM »
Last year I had a few possums take up residence and they decided for some reason to croak there.  I had to call the animal corpse wranglers to get them out for me as they were stinking badly.  Early last week I was hearing bumps down there and there was another bad smell coming up.  I called some other wranglers and they found 2 baby cats down there.  And they brought them back alive.  They were to come the next day and fumigate down there and I spent the day re making the door to make it animal proof.  I put a screen door spring on the door and a magnetic catch so an animal can leave but not return nor enter.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
Re: More Visitors
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 09:40:07 PM »
Were the animals under your house?
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 09:59:15 PM »
Shame you didn't get to them possums before they died.  Mmmmmmmmmmmm!  ;D

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 10:16:36 PM »
Were the animals under your house?

Yes, in the crawlspace.  I heard an animal tap on the door to get in. I don't think it did.  ;D
Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 10:18:31 PM »
Shame you didn't get to them possums before they died.  Mmmmmmmmmmmm!  ;D

I didn't even know they were in there.  There was just that rotten odor.
Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 09:09:43 PM »
I have a tiny (700 sq. ft.) summer cottage on Lake Huron's Saginaw Bay.  These places were built as summer houses, little unheated places.  Mine was built in 1929 and knocked down by moving ice in 1946 (yeah, the ice came ashore in the spring, driven by wind).  All of them were built on piers, usually cedar posts, and when those rotted, most got concrete pads and piers.  But it was easy for critters to crawl underneath.  Maybe 20 years ago one down the shore a bit that had been converted into a year-round home had a skunk move in underneath.  The owners hired a skunk catcher who employed a live trap.  All went well, except that the skunk grabbed at the Visqueen vapor barrier on the sand under the house, which made extricating the trap quite difficult.  In the process, Mr. Skunk let loose, and the owners had to move out while they dealt with insurance adjusters and de-smelling procedures.  I had been deploying anti-skunk devices each fall for years.  They were wood frames with chicken wire, laid out on the ground all around the little house.  What a pain.  Five years ago I hired the local house mover to jack it up, brick fireplace and all, and put a real block foundation under it.  Now the house doesn't move any more and I don't worry about Mr. Skunk becoming a tenant.

My little cottage is unheated.  I drain the pipes each winter.  Ten years ago the ice came within 10 feet of the house again. It is a harsh environment.  A month ago a big NE storm with winds of 60 mph had waves crashing over the seawall.  A log, 5" x 7', floated to the back of the house.  The usual water level is about 6' lower.

Chris Campbell

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 10:17:47 PM »
My family had a cottage near Sturgis and their problem was squirrels taking up residence during our absence they would nest on the fiberboard drop ceiling and cause ruination.  I honestly think the only insulation the place had before we remodeled were acorn and hickory nut shells.
Arthur C. Clarke