Author Topic: The Indy 500  (Read 186 times)

electra225

• View Profile
The Indy 500
« on: May 27, 2017, 09:06:52 PM »
Being raised a Hoosier, race day or "Decoration Day" was the second most important day of the year in my family.  The whole family got together and spent the day, honored those gone before, and listened to the race.  My job was to monitor the Buick radio and report on the race.  I kept charts and kept dad and grandpa informed of what was going on.  Dad planted corn and grandpa got in the way.  All the aunts, uncles and cousins would be at the house listening to the race on the radio.  After the race, we had barbecued chicken, potato salad, corn on the cob an cherry pie.  Then we packed up and headed for the cemetery to place flowers on graves.  We still have barbecued chicken and potato salad on race day.  I have listened to or watched the race every years since 1955.  Tomorrow is the day.  My wife is going to drive in the annual golf cart parade and help a neighbor who is not able to drive her buggy this year.  Not me, man.  I'm watchin' the race!   ;)
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: The Indy 500
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 11:42:04 PM »
I've driven by that race track several times when traveling through Indianapolis, and always wished I could see an Indy 500 in person.  That would sure be lots better than the Kentucky Derby...........
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 10:25:07 PM »
In 1960, Buick ran a promotion "100,000 miles at 100 miles an hour on the banks of the rugged "Big D'".  They used that promotion to run a 1960 Invicta 100,000 miles at Daytona Speedway, refueled by another 1960 Invicta.  Some famous NASCAR driver did the driving, I don't remember who.  Grandpa worked for Buick and we got to "wring out" a new 1960 Electra 225 flat top on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.  At 120 mph, it looked like we were barely moving.  There were still trees along the edge of the track back then and the walkway that stretched over the backstretch.  In 1965, our high school marching band got to march around that track.  That is a BBIIIGGG track when you are marching around it in a band playing the trombone.  A long way around it.

I was rooting for Helio Castroneves to win his fourth 500.  He came close, in second.  A Japanese driver named Sato won driving a Honda powered car.  The only part I disliked other than the Honda power was that the car was owned by the Andrettis.  I am decidedly NOT an Andretti fan.  It was a great race, a good finish.  I wish they would have a little more diversity in power plants.  And bring back turbocharging.  And the Novi..... ;)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 09:12:13 PM »
Hey, another high school trombone player!  I was an awful trombone player, I hated practicing, but I loved making music with the band.  It was the high point of each day.  One of these days when I retire I'll take a few lessons and play again.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 10:04:15 PM »
My trombone playing days are behind me, I'm afraid.  I enjoyed it while it lasted.

I wanted to play the piano.  My parents believed a piano was a "girl's" instrument.  I finally taught myself to play a piano about 20 years ago.  Floyd Cramer has no fear of competition from me, but I love the instrument.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 11:37:26 PM »
I have arrived at old age with very few regrets.  One of them is that I resisted my mother's urging to take piano lessons.  My thinking was along the lines of your parents'.  The piano is one of mankind's grand creations.  I wish I had learned to play it.

Chris Campbell