Author Topic: Emerson?  (Read 89 times)

xaenon

• View Profile
Emerson?
« on: May 29, 2017, 06:39:02 PM »
Greetings again from Cpl. Klinger's home town!

I just picked up a nice twofer.  The Magnavox I'll discuss in the appropriate thread.   The other half of this is a 1948 Emerson radio-phonograph, a model 573, circa 1948.  Not too sure if this is considered a 'console' or not.  Did Emerson make their own record changers?  The reason I'm asking is the one in it does not appear to be correct.  It appears to be 'spliced' into the wiring, and it doesn't seem to sit quite right in its drawer.   Its motor runs (the switch is stuck in the 'on' position) and the platter rotates, but I'm sure the rest of the mechanism needs service, and of course there's an audible flat spot on the drive idler.

Here's a picture.  Sorry for the bad quality, my 'good' phone decided to be difficult today.

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
Re: Emerson?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 09:54:57 AM »
That looks like a General Instruments record changer, perhaps a model 700F or similar.

As far as I know, Emerson did not make their own record changers.

I see a record changer in an Emerson 573 shown over at Radio Museum, but I don't recognize the make.

Is this your model?:
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/emerson_573_ch120039b.html

xaenon

• View Profile
Re: Emerson?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 06:25:35 PM »
That looks like a General Instruments record changer, perhaps a model 700F or similar.

As far as I know, Emerson did not make their own record changers.

I see a record changer in an Emerson 573 shown over at Radio Museum, but I don't recognize the make.

Is this your model?:
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/emerson_573_ch120039b.html

Ken, I think you may have helped me solve the mystery.

I looked at the RadioMuseum entry for the 700F; it does indeed look a great deal like the one in my radio, aside from a few subtle differences, specifically with regard to the controls.  Definitely a General Instruments machine, though.  A further general search for General Instrument changers pulled up information on the 204 and 205, which resemble the one in the radio featured in the link you sent.   Perhaps mine is a later production unit that got a different changer (the 700F instead of the 204/205?)   Also, I see reference to a Emerson model 537B, which implies an 537, either A or sans suffix - perhaps the different changer is the reason for the 'B' designation?  I'll have to do more research, but your sharp eye has pointed me in the right direction, and I thank you for your help.