Author Topic: Magnavox Concert Grand  (Read 607 times)

Diverted

• View Profile
Magnavox Concert Grand
« on: May 30, 2017, 11:37:05 AM »
Just got my Magnavox Concert Grand and am so excited, I had to share the story!
About four years ago I saw an ad in the Boston Craigslist for a FREE Magnavox console. The pictures were not good and it didn't say it was a Concert Grand, but it was pretty obvious that that's what it was. I contacted the owner and took it home; however I was somewhat new to consoles at the time and the size, weight and complexity of the unit was intimidating! As I was short on money I regrettably sold it. About a month after it was gone  Ireally started to kick myself for letting it go, and I have been looking for one ever since.
About two months ago a friend in Seattle texted me with an ad he'd seen locally on letitgo.com. It was another Provincial cabinet Concert Grand, for $100. Did I want it? YES! I replied. So he drove about 50 miles to get it, brought it home and put it in his garage. Meanwhile, I started looking at shipping options and settled with Plycon Group freighters, who agreed to ship it cross country for just under $450.
The console arrived early last week and I spent the next five days or so going over the set: All new electrolytics, paper wax caps, resistors that were more than 10 percent off spec replaced, a few new tubes etc.; and I replaced the right channel power transformer, which itself was a replacement and not a good one at that: WHoever installed it ignored the fact that the amp uses two 5U4 rectifiers and thus needs 6A of 5V; the replacement only had 3! The replacement I installed was from a Magnavox Imperial and it was still slightly underrated (6.3v filament did not have enough capacity). So i opted to not use the filament winding and added a 5A 6.3v transformer. The amp now runs nice and cool, with voltages right on spec. All that's left is to service the turntable, which is pretty gummed up.
The console is in fantastic condition with a great finish, and it just booms. Such a massive, impressive piece of gear. I will not let this one go!

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox Concert Grand
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 08:56:47 PM »
So now that it sounds great, how about cleaning the grill cloth so the speaker outlines don't show?  The speakers are basically air pumps, and the grill cloth is an air filter that traps airborne crud where the air is moving.

But congratulations on finding and restoring an impressive device!

Chris Campbell

Diverted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 09:34:47 PM »
I did remove both speaker grills and spray them down. It made very little difference; the cloth is an open weave plastic-y fabric that is slightly transparent; not surprising that you can see the black outlines of the speakers behind them. In looking at magazine ads for the CG the same outline is visible in most of them as well. They don't bother me; I like the look!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 04:59:57 PM »
What a great story.  You were lucky to get a second chance.

Bill

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 07:53:29 PM »
I remember when you posted about the first one. I'm glad you were able to find another, congratulations.

voxACthirtee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 10:01:23 PM »
Congrats on the Concert Grand!

I'm also in New England(So. Vermont).
Glad you got it for an overall reasonable price.
I've gotten both Concert Grands i've seen in New England the past couple of years. Not bragging, just good luck/timing.
I got a free one from the Worcester area that was fairly beat,
and a really nice one from CT this past Thanksgiving.
Just about to go through the first set of amps and try some restore-a-finish on the cosmetically challenged one.

Diverted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »
I remember seeing the ad for that free one in Worcester and missed it by just a few hours. So, do they both have remotes? Because mine's is missing!
And have fun with the restore. Not a difficult set to go through actually.

Ted

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 06:45:41 PM »
That is definitely a beautiful set!  I'm looking at the back and I can figure out three of the four chassis.  I see the left and right amplifiers behind the speakers, and can make out the tuner. I'm just curious what is the chassis that is located under the tuner.  Did it have some sort of a reverb, or was that the remote control chassis? 

I can see that it certainly is a heavy set and must sound wonderful.  What kind of wattage does it consume.  My RCA console with P-P 6BQ5's runs about 210 watts.  I'm sure this one must run in the 500-600 watt category.

Simply WOW!!!

Diverted

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 07:35:53 PM »
There are actually two chassis there, but it's hard to differentiate them: there's the remote control receiver and the tuner power supply.

The console pulls 650 watts with 50WPC output. It's LOUD and sounds pretty fantastic. Thanks!

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 07:41:32 PM »
All I can say is I hope you live up north.   I'll bet it can heat up the room nicely.  Thanks for the clarification.

Steve

Diverted

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 08:03:31 PM »
Yep, Rhode Island. And our furnace is on the way out so this'll do nicely.