Author Topic: How Does Your Garden Grow?  (Read 295 times)

danrclem

• View Profile
How Does Your Garden Grow?
« on: June 01, 2017, 10:32:26 PM »
How many of you out there raise gardens?  I just finished planting mine today. It should have been out almost a month ago but my ground holds an unusual amount of moisture below the surface and is hard to get worked up right.  We've had quite a bit of rain here lately and until now I only had one window to plant but had to be out of town at that time.  I really need to look into adding some sand among other things to help my ground till up better.  I will plant another crop of green beans and corn about two weeks from now.

I always have a couple problems growing corn and potatoes.  No matter how much I spray my potatoes they always have the dreaded potato bugs eating them up.  My problem with corn is crows.  I don't know how they know but right after I plant they always come around to feast.  Then when the corn starts coming up they'll come around again and pull it up by its roots to eat the kernel.  I'm going to try and putting chicken wire over the top of it this year and see if that helps keep them out.  I don't like to shoot birds but if they succeed in getting my corn I'll get the 12 gauge out and have some target practice.  Like Popeye says, “That’s all I can stands I can’t stands no more”

Almost everything I plant is heirloom because I like to save seeds.  Anybody else do any gardening?

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:06:23 AM »
I've got an asparagus patch.  When I bought this house 22 years ago the county was selling plastic composting bins and when you bought one, they gave you a dozen asparagus roots.  As I was leaving the civic center with my plastic bin & roots, a guy in the parking lot gave me his roots--he had enough already.  Some of the plants faded and I added new ones last year.  Expecting a better crop next year.

I've got a 23 year old geranium.  It comes indoors in the winter.  I keep pruning it and poking the cuttings into pots so now it has lots of offspring. 

The principal animal pest in Michigan is deer--they eat everything.  The few plants that they don't eat, they'll uproot, taste, and then spit it out.  I am waiting for some plague to strike and kill them all.  Their population is much larger than in the past and they are suppressing lots of native vegetation, as well as my summer flowers.  At the little cottage, anything that blooms or has leaves must be surrounded by fencing.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 07:20:43 AM »
Get some Irish Spring soap and feed it to your food processor.  Chop it up, but don't puree it.  Sprinkle the soap flakes wherever you don't want deer.  You can also go to the barber shop and get some human hair.  Put that in two or three handkerchiefs and hang those where you don't want deer.  The hair needs to be changed occasionally when the smell dissipates.  Deer can be pesky, but they are pretty animals, fun to watch.  The deer around here are so tame that our dogs barking like crazy have no effect on them.

If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 08:09:34 AM »
Chris, I take it that asparagus comes back every year and doesn't need replanting?  I'll have to check into that since my wife really likes it.  I'm recently retired and I'd like to keep adding to my garden.  It's hard to beat home grown tomatoes and home grown anything else.

Even though there are a lot of deer in my area I only had problems with deer one very dry year.  My tomatoes were just about ready to turn and when I went to that garden one day every single tomato was gone.  My first thought was since my garden is close to the road that somebody stopped one night and helped themselves.  I guess it would have been an understatement to say that I was very upset because out of all the things in my garden that I anticipate the home grown tomatoes are at the top of the list.  After some farther inspection I found the telltale signs of deer tracks.  I didn't even think that a deer would eat a tomato but I was very wrong.  Well I thought that it was just a fluke because it hadn't ever happened  before.  My tomatoes started growing back and I went out one day and found the critter munching on some more green tomatoes.  I ran her off but she came back a day or two later.  I bought an electric fence and solved that problem.

I have had problems with raccoons getting my corn before but the electric fence when put down low takes care of that problem too.  Now I've got to go out and put some fencing around my green beans to keep the rabbits away.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 09:24:09 AM »
Wanna rent a cat?  My wife's female cat is living he$$ on critters.  She poops in the neighbor's boat, so we have to keep her close to the house.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 04:20:59 PM »
 ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 05:29:26 PM »
Wanna rent a cat?  My wife's female cat is living he$$ on critters.  She poops in the neighbor's boat, so we have to keep her close to the house.

My wife has two cats but they are totally useless. The little female will let you know when a mouse is in the house because she'll sit there in front of the stove and stare but she never ever catches anything.  I think someday I'll take a dead mouse and stick it down there so at least she can pretend that she caught one.  The male is like the "Morris, it's time for din-din cat."  He ain't worth two dead flies for anything. 

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 06:17:16 PM »
Chris, I take it that asparagus comes back every year and doesn't need replanting?  I'll have to check into that since my wife really likes it.  I'm recently retired and I'd like to keep adding to my garden.  It's hard to beat home grown tomatoes and home grown anything else.

Even though there are a lot of deer in my area I only had problems with deer one very dry year.  My tomatoes were just about ready to turn and when I went to that garden one day every single tomato was gone.  My first thought was since my garden is close to the road that somebody stopped one night and helped themselves.  I guess it would have been an understatement to say that I was very upset because out of all the things in my garden that I anticipate the home grown tomatoes are at the top of the list.  After some farther inspection I found the telltale signs of deer tracks.  I didn't even think that a deer would eat a tomato but I was very wrong.  Well I thought that it was just a fluke because it hadn't ever happened  before.  My tomatoes started growing back and I went out one day and found the critter munching on some more green tomatoes.  I ran her off but she came back a day or two later.  I bought an electric fence and solved that problem.

I have had problems with raccoons getting my corn before but the electric fence when put down low takes care of that problem too.  Now I've got to go out and put some fencing around my green beans to keep the rabbits away.

The asparagus is good for about 20 years.  Some of my original plants are still producing well.  Others just gave up.  That;s when I ordered some new ones from Burpee.

My neighbors have tried all the anti-deer methods--hair, soap--but all that works reliably is fencing (or guns).  The problem is that they don't just eat garden plants.  They gobble up the native wild plants too, changing the environment.  A friend who spent his summers with an aunt on my home town returned after being absent quite a few years.  He looked back into the state-owned land behind the house and asked why it looked different than he remembered--why he could see so far.  t was because of the deer browse line.  There are so many now that they eat everything.  They used to be rare.  My Dad would report seeing them a mile down the road when he had to make emergency runs at 2 a.m., and it was notable.  Now they are all over.  My neighbor counted 13 in my yard (about 40' wide) one day.  I favor extermination.

Chris Campbell

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 08:47:17 PM »
I love gardening but like everything else I have little time for it these days!

Here are some of my tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, etc. from years past.

-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 08:49:05 PM »
I have green onions growing year round here as well as a few other herbs... nothing like fresh from the garden for cooking!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 05:12:41 PM »
I do a small garden every year.  I have a low fence to keep the rabbits out and I bought a spray that I use around the garden to keep the deer out.  So far that seems to work.  And I agree there is nothing better that walking out in your yard and picking something fresh.   ;D

I live in Oceana county in Michigan which is the asparagus capital of the US.  The asparagus festival is next week.  Lots of stuff to do, parade, music and lots of food based around asparagus.  If anyone is interested come on down.

Bill