Author Topic: Another Stereo Theater  (Read 375 times)

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
Another Stereo Theater
« on: June 06, 2017, 09:52:52 AM »
I picked up this one Saturday. It's supposed to be a 1964 according to the warranty paperwork. The address on the paperwork from 1964  is the same address I picked it up from. It's very clean and everything works. I like it so much It took the place of my Philco in my room. I'm still working on the decor on it.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
Re: Another Stereo Theater
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 02:53:09 PM »
Looks great!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 08:11:47 PM »
What's that little round thing in the lower left corner of the left speaker?  I'm guessing maybe it's a photocell for an auto-brightness system?  I don't know much about Magnavox TV sets.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 08:46:32 AM »
Chris, that is the photocell for the auto-brightness system.  Some models had it in the corner of the CRT mask.  Is that solid state or tube? 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 10:37:13 AM »
I saw some tubes when I looked threw the vent hole's on the back but I haven't had time to take the back off yet. Did they make tube and solid state stuff together? I can't find one like it in the brochures

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 04:01:38 PM »
Yes. During this era it was not uncommon to have a SS Radio/AMP and a tube Radio/AMP chassis.

Are there speakers on the ends of this cabinet?

If so it may be the "Contemporary 23" on page 12 of the 64 Fall catalog.  It seems that it was not uncommon to find different legs/bases on consoles. The Dealer was more than happy to provide whatever the buyer wanted.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 08:35:46 PM »
Yes it does have side speakers and that does look like the contemporary. Thanks I wanted to see how they decorated around it. I have really gotten into vintage decor lately. I used to have new fake stuff that looked vintage but now it's all the real thing.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 08:48:58 PM »
I'll bet it's all tube.  Certainly not 1964.  Wrong tuner, wrong knobs, no "Astro-Sonic" nomenclature, and it has the S-600 changer.  1964 instruments would be a solid state radio and amp (Astro-Sonic) with a tube black and white or color (roundie) CRT.  It would have the Astro-Sonic nomenclature plastered everywhere.  The comment about Magnavox making whatever you would pay for is well-taken.  This cabinet was technically dead after 1960.  It is not listed at all for 1961.  It is back again in 1962, gone again in 1963.  We are gonna need numbers and some date codes to accurately date this one.  Remember, too, that Magnvox was sold in furniture stores.  It was not unheard of to buy a "new" Magnavox instrument that was actually two or three years old.

I noticed something on this instrument I had not seen before.  The power switch is part of the function switch.  What a horrible idea that was.  Causing more wear to a traditionally wonky switch.  There is no tape input.  It has FM-AFC, so it is a late 1961 or later.   1962 seems pretty close, verified by the 1964 sale date.  It might have sat in the store for some time before it sold, not uncommon back in the day.  My apologies to the OP.  You did not ask for my opinion, but I have been studying these things for two years and no two are the same.  Interesting instrument.  I'd love to see it with the back off!

In 1963, Magnavox built both tube and solid state models in the same or similar cabinets.  Many of the cabinets from the tube days survived into 1964.  The "real" 1964 models would have the larger platter on the changer with chrome accents.

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 09:01:21 PM »
The model numbers are on the warranty. I think the tag is gone unless it's behind the back. I appreciate and value the opinions  from everybody here. Good or bad

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 09:18:19 PM »
There should be another model number sticker pasted inside the cabinet somewhere.  Usually on the bottom in a speaker enclosure.  There is no 2MV179 listed in any literature I have, period.  I would guess a 1959 or '60 that somebody changed the changer in, but then there is that pesky "FM-AFC" which puts it late 1961 at least.  Pull the rectifier or one of the output tubes if they are still branded "Magnavox" and get us a date code.

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 09:31:45 PM »
I will take the back off Sunday and take some pictures

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 09:58:03 PM »
Well the civil defense markers on the dial mean it's absolutely no later than 63.

As for the changer IIRC if it was a 61 it would have a badge on the head of the tonearm that reads "Feather Touch"
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 10:49:50 PM »
Not all 1961 instruments had the "Feather Touch" tone arm.  My Concerto does, while the more expensive Symphony I own does not!  Feather Touch was an option.  What kind of an option, I have no idea.  As far as I can tell, the two tone arms and the changers are identical.  Both have EV 26 cartridges.  While it is true that "Feather Touch" was a 1961 feature, it was not found on every instrument.  The one I own is the only one I have ever seen.  Good old Magnavox......

The S-600 changer was introduced in 1961, so I typically use its inclusion to date instruments after 1960.  Some Stereo Theaters, legitimate 1961 instruments, apparently, used the older, obsolete after 1960 Collaro Conquest changers......