Author Topic: 1966 Zenith Color TV/Stereo model 9600  (Read 100 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
1966 Zenith Color TV/Stereo model 9600
« on: June 07, 2017, 02:10:48 PM »
The only combo I own, I could not ignore the fact this was Zenith's first rectangular color TV though it is not a Space Command remote set. The original owner, after buying a new TV in the 1990's brought it to the plumbing-heating business I picked it up at. It was being used only for its fine FM performance, which still remains though it needs the usual restoration.

The receiver chassis is second from Zenith's top of line and so is the record changer. The walnut cabinet is very clean with only the grill weave imperfection.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: 1966 Zenith Color TV/Stereo model 9600
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 02:35:22 PM »
more pictures
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 02:38:46 PM »
and a few more
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 07:40:08 PM »
What's up with the separate bass/treble controls--did the TV use a separate amplifier with its own controls?  And it's interesting that Zenith seems to have isolated the bass speaker from the record changer, something that not all bothered to do.  That meant feedback in some cases, or a need to limit LF response to avoid it. 

Chris Campbell

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 08:07:34 AM »
Nice looking Combo. They don't last long around here. They are a favorite for repurposer's.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 12:37:59 PM »
What's up with the separate bass/treble controls--did the TV use a separate amplifier with its own controls?  And it's interesting that Zenith seems to have isolated the bass speaker from the record changer, something that not all bothered to do.  That meant feedback in some cases, or a need to limit LF response to avoid it. 

Chris Campbell
Yes, there is a second contact set on the TV power switch that switches the speakers to the TV's audio amp, a 6Z10 tube stage about equivalent to a 6BQ5, 10 watts max. I worked on a few 1965 RCA combos, that used similar design. Magnavox used a relay to switch speakers to the TV amp that activated when the TV was turned on.

My guess is that TV sound was lower quality FM and not ANY better if fed thru the HiFi's amplifier versus the TV's. I'm pretty sure I tried this on a non-remote 1968 Magnavox Theatre astrosonic I had, and definitely before TV sound was dbx-compressed for MTS ::) with NO improvement in dynamic range or frequency response, except for loudness but only from tripling the amp power output.

This particular TV and many other more high-end Zenith's that were not combos had these tone controls. One such model appears below. Zenith's last 21" round CRT set was introduced at the same time these rectangular CRT models were and the 21" was the lower cost color alternative.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 05:54:12 PM »
That photo of the TV-only console looks just like my grandmother's RCA New Vista TV that I'm desperately trying to give away to a good home.  If anybody wants a classic RCA, call Chris.  Same cabinet (almost exactly), same control placement (except no tone controls), even same sort of grill cloth. 

Chris Campbell