Author Topic: It's been a tough day  (Read 640 times)

electra225

• View Profile
It's been a tough day
« on: June 09, 2017, 10:46:57 PM »
First, we get to take the cat to the vet.  They still don't know what the problem is, but he's pretty sick.  Then our newest flat panel TV, barely a year old suddenly went dead as a doornail.  The only thing that works is the red pilot light, the "stand by" light, in flat panel speak.  Do any of you guys have experience with flat panels?  I know nothing about these except how to plug them in.  They say trouble runs in threes.  I can't wait to see what happens next.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

electra225

• View Profile
Re: It's been a tough day
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 10:56:39 AM »
According to YouTube videos, lots of folks actually fix flat panel TV's.  I surmise from what I have read that it is a "throw parts and see what sticks" type of procedure.  My problem could be the power supply (I have TENTATIVELY eliminated that as the cause) the mother board, (far more likely) or the LCD panel itself, since this is a known issue with some RCA/Proscan/JVC sets.  The problem is service information.  Dependable, competent, understandable service information.  "Free" chat type service is not free of charge.  It is free of information that you can actually use.  I really do not want to toss a less-than-two-year-old TV set on the burn pile, but I may have no other choice.  The parts are not terribly expensive.  The Ps board is about $30.  The mother board $64.51.  The LCD panel is not expensive, per se, but the entire TV has to come apart to fix that and I'm just not up to that task.  Perhaps if I were younger and my eyesight was better. 

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 11:33:27 AM »
Just out of curiosity what brand is it? 

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 04:48:10 PM »
It is an RCA. 

I have been an RCA fan since the 1950's.  I still have our family's first TV, a 1950 RCA.  I have never owned a TV that was not an RCA.  I realize that RCA is now a marketing division of the ON Corporation, an outfit that has a horrible reputation for customer service.  They have lived up to that reputation with me on this deal as well.  "You need to take it to a repair facility" is sage advice if such a facility existed.  Around here, it would be a 200 mile trip to the nearest facility.  Then one would have to carefully vet that service to avoid getting a good screwing.  This TV is three months out of warranty.  We are currently using my old 1992 RCA 32" Home Theater that we bought brand new.

I have investigated on the Internet with varying results.  The old sage "You can find anything on the Internet" is sound, but what you find may not be any help or what you actually can use.  With no manufacturer support, it is little wonder that most RCA TV's, when they break, end up on the curb.  This one will not if I have to replace every single part in it.  I have been fortunate enough to find a DIY-style website that offered some usable information and also a YouTube channel that has been helpful.  My busted flat screen is on my big bench in the garage.  I have run some directed tests and have TENTATIVELY placed blame on the logic module (mother board, main board).  My set has the standby light on.  I am supposed to have 5 volts standby voltage and have 4.93.  This is not enough.  It needs to be a minimum of 5 volts.  I see no bulging caps or anything burnt.  I have to use a magnifying glass to read the tiny print on things.  My belief at this point is that, although the power board is not likely the condition that put the TV in kaput status, changing those electrolytic caps and increasing their power ratings would not be a waste of time.  I need to find out where to measure voltage from the logic module to the LED control before I say definitively that the logic module is bad.  The logic module is the only place where audio and video are controlled in one module.  I have lost both audio and video with a standby light and, according to what I have learned, 99.999% of the time this condition exists, the logic module is the culprit.  Even replacing the logic module after I have assured myself it is the culprit may not put me in the pink.  I could still have a problem downstream, in the LED control or the LED panel itself, but won't know that until I get power from the logic module. 

I really don't believe that fixing flat screen TV's would be that tough if service literature existed.  It simply does not.  Not for any brand that I have been able to find.  Parts exist from several sources, so SOMEBODY must be working on them.  Parts are frequently "refurbished" and new stuff is variable in quality and price.  I'd have to say they are safer to work on than the older high-voltage stuff.  The highest voltage in my TV is 24 volts after you get past the power transformer and rectifier.  There are 3 volt, 5 volt, 12 volt and 24 volt reference points.  There are five electronic parts to my TV.  Power board, logic module, T-Con board, LED driver module and the LED module.  And a couple speakers.  That's it.

I am a "fur" piece from having my TV fixed.  But I am going to give it my best shot.  I have nothing to lose, and I just might learn something.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 05:10:37 PM »
You might see what these folks have to offer.  You'll have to scratch up the model info.

https://www.samswebsite.com/
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 07:08:52 PM »
I don't see my model listed.  I'll give them a call.  Thanks, Rex.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 09:48:02 PM »
The cat is doing some better.  Not out of the woods yet, though.  He has a kidney infection.

I have decided to order a replacement main board for the TV.  It has three symptoms that are normally blamed on the main board.  Stand by for further updates.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 09:59:07 PM »
Poor cats have their share of waterworks problems.  Sometimes their food can be the cause if it frequently occurs.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 09:58:03 PM »
Apparently, Sams does not have a manual for my TV.  I am going to do like everybody else who works on these things and start throwing parts at it until something fixes the TV.  That seems to be the accepted method for working on these things.  I am going to start by throwing a main board at it.  Then a power supply board.  Then the T-Con board.  It should be working by that time.  I need to learn how these things work and what to do when they get wonky, which they apparently do rather frequently.  I have a 50" RCA built in 2012 that worked the last time we used it.  The wife likes flat screen TV's so I need to be more familiar with what to do when they break.  A TV lasting 25 years without repair is a thing of the past.  The new flat screen TV's are almost as undependable as the old tube CRT sets were.

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 06:30:25 PM »
Hope you get the TV working without spending too much money on it.  It figures that it would work until right after the warranty ends.  I'd bet that all a tech does in this day and time is change boards until they find the problem.  I bought a Philips back in 2010 and knock on wood but it's been great so far.  I really wanted a Samsung but the Philips had a better price.

Hope your cat gets better so I can borrow him to keep the critters out of my garden.   :)   I put one foot wide strips of chicken wire over my corn, fenced in my green beans and my wife got three rotating watcha-ma-call-its that I put in the garden.  So far so good.  No crows, deer or rabbits but it ain't over yet. 

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 08:47:02 PM »
The deer managed to get their miserable snouts through a gap in two chicken wire panels and they gobbled up two buds on my poppy plant.  One blossom made it and the next two buds are farther in.  I wish it were legal to poison them, preferably some substance that caused agonizing deaths.  Aaargh.  My least favorite animals.   The rabbits are much easier to deal with, except when winter snows pile up and I forget to raise my fences.  But the deer....

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 08:40:59 AM »
The cat is doing better.  He is pestering me for bacon. You can have the silly cat.  Good luck getting him off his duff to chase critters.  The only critter he chases is Bentley.  Then the fight is on.

The TV repair project is not going all that well.  I have tentatively decided that the problem is in the logic board.  The main board, whatever.  One problem with this damn stuff is that terminology is not the same.  One manufacturer says power board.  One says power module.  One says PSU.  I already don't know what I'm doing, and confusing or changing nomenclature does not help.  Next problem is with RCA itself.  We all know that RCA is now "RCA Marketing Group" owned by the awful ON Corporation.  Customer and/or factory technical assistance does not exist.  They have several phone numbers, and you get put on hold ad infinitum on each of them.  I have not found a single scratch of technical information, not even on Sams.  I have called three of the more popular providers of parts for flat panel sets and none of them have parts for my TV.  "Too new" "Oh my God, YOU bought an RCA?" "Find the nearest dumpster and give it a toss" are some of the more common comments.  So, if I can somehow get this thing to go again, it will be on Craigslist for sale, along with the other two I own while they are still (hopefully) working.  My RCA loyalty days are done.  RCA is not only a "B" label, it is lower than that.  I can get all kinds of information on brands such as Dynex, Sceptre, Insignia and that.  But RCA? Nothing exists that I have found in the way of technical assistance or service parts for the model I have.

For the deer, either rent Sweet Pea, our six pound killer cat or get some Irish Spring soap and chunk it up then sprinkle that in your flower garden.  Or go to the barber shop and get a couple wads of human hair and put that up on you fence in an old hair net.  Deer do not like either of those smells and will stay away by the hundreds.   ;)

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 10:14:03 AM »
To give credit where it is due, a man from one of the firms I already contacted, the guy who said to find the nearest dumpster and toss it, actually called and talked with my wife.  He asked for the model number, the wife gave it to him.  It appears there is a "repair kit" available for this TV.  This gives me everything in the set brand new with the exception of the LED panel, the power cord, speakers and the control panel with all the buttons.  Six widgets and boards in all for $79.95.  Built to order.  I won't learn anything much, but he GUARANTEES the TV will work with this kit or my money back and he pays shipping both ways.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 01:36:54 PM »
That sounds like a bargain to me!

I am a staunch CRT holdout as far as TV's go. Still have a 2002 vintage Sony 34" flat glass, HD WEGA model in the living room that I have repaired once. I just recently bought a 2006 version of this same TV as a backup for when this one finally kicks the bucket.

Yeah I know, who the hell stores a hulking 220lb spare TV?!  The answer is ME!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 03:59:37 PM »
Glad he cat is feeling better.  Is bacon cat food???

As far as deer go....yes they are a big pain!   I bought a gallon of spray that the store recommended.  It really stinks and so far I have not had a deer.  ;D

You and I are a lot alike Ken.  I have three old TV's. They are all pushing 20 years old and have never seen a repair.  I do have one flat screen.  It's in the kitchen and it's the Best Buy brand.  Knock on wood it's still working at about 6 years old.

Good luck Greg.  I hope the TV goes better than the golf cart.

Bill