Author Topic: Motorola SK16W  (Read 190 times)

heats00

• View Profile
Motorola SK16W
« on: June 24, 2017, 04:07:40 PM »
Found this for $40.  The cabinet is in pretty good shape and should clean up very well.  One small tear in the grill cloth.  It works as found, but the turntable will need to be cleaned and re-lubed, and the dial string will have to be restrung.  I would love to find the matching speaker to this!

heats00

• View Profile
Re: Motorola SK16W
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 02:09:34 PM »
Been a while, but since we had new flooring put in, and I had to move this into my workspace while that was being done, I took the opportunity to get the amp recapped, and give the whole thing a 'once over'.  The amp is now totally recapped, while doing that I had lots of problems with the terminals breaking off of the 6BQ5 sockets.  Rather than risk them breaking later, I replaced all 6 of the 9 pin mini tube sockets, and along the way replaced just about all of the resistors as well rather than trying to remember where each one fit.  So now I have pretty much a totally rebuilt amp and moved on to the radio chassis.

I started off with replacing the 2 electrolytics, and firing everything up.  Everything worked and I was able to manually tune in a few stations on both FM and AM.  I restrung the dial cord which had snapped, it took more than a few tries to get the wraps aligned so it didn't wrap onto itself and locking up.  Popped everything back into the cabinet temporarily, replaced the crossover cap with a Solen, and hooked up to my phones headphone jack to play a few songs and see how it sounds. 

It sounds okay, but it lacks bass compared to my Voice Of Music 818-3.  I do have a few wax caps to replace in the radio chassis yet but need more time to get to them, and there are a few resistors that I would like to change out as well. 

Also, the Sonotone 8T in the changer is possibly junked, not sure if I should try a needle first (to make sure) or if I should find a suitable replacement.  I see on Gary's VM site that the P226 is listed as a suitable replacement.  Any recommendations here one way or the other??

HiFiFun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 05:59:31 PM »
It sounds okay, but it lacks bass compared to my Voice Of Music 818-3. 
Also, the Sonotone 8T in the changer is possibly junked, not sure if I should try a needle first (to make sure) or if I should find a suitable replacement.  I see on Gary's VM site that the P226 is listed as a suitable replacement.  Any recommendations here one way or the other??
That's a nice score for $40 !
1. Regarding the bass, you might want to check out recapping and
checking the tubes in the pre-amplifier. If it's similar to other Motorolas,
the pre-amp is part of the control panel.
Plus, I wonder if both channels are automatically routed to the
main cabinet, since you don't have the stereo speaker.
2. I have the Motorola SK-14M from 1959, two piece stereo.
Same exact V-M 1201 stereo changer. I've found that the Sonotone 8-T's
just don't last over 30-40 years. The stylus saddle and transducer
element age past functionality.
I've replaced mine with a modern Pfanstiehl family P-228, and it sounds
and tracks very well. Plus, you get a little more voltage than the Sonotone.
I wouldn't waste the money on a stylus.
HFF

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 07:59:18 PM »
Nice find . It really has that mid century look that everybody wants. 

heats00

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 09:31:48 PM »
I think I'll get a P228 on order and go that route, thanks for the recommendation.

For as much room as there is inside this chassis, it sure has some components in tight quarters.  My next plan is to replace the ceramic caps in the audio path and see what result I get from that.

I'd like to post the schematic, but I don't want to step on any toes since I did purchase it as a PDF. 

heats00

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »
Also meant to say that I'll be replacing the tubular caps as well.