Author Topic: Vintage magnavox horns sound off  (Read 294 times)

Ellenbedavid

• View Profile
Vintage magnavox horns sound off
« on: July 19, 2017, 08:48:21 PM »
Hello,

I have been working on a vitnage magnavox micromatic.

I have cleaned and re-greased the gears along with replaced the original cartridge with one from sound of music.

Most songs sound good.  However some, particularly acoustic guitar or voices in the range sound off.  It's hard to describe but easy to notice.  I believe this is coming from the horns.

Do the horns need to be replaced or crossover caps? 

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Vintage magnavox horns sound off
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:00:03 PM »
I would start with the crossover caps--quick'n'easy, and on my older floor speakers, made a big difference.  Also, re capping the amplifier may be in order if you haven't done it.  Is it only on records, or on radio and records?  That may help isolate the source of the problem.  What kind of cartridge did you buy?

Chris Campbell

Ellenbedavid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 08:33:59 AM »
It only seems to occur when records play, what would the lead to?

I've never done capacitor replacement so I might need some guidance.

How do I find the capacitors to purchase for the cross over and amp?

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 06:56:04 PM »
If it's only on phono, you may have a defective cartridge, or one with characteristics that are a bad fit with your console.  Most devices, and especially mechanical ones (cartridges, speakers) have frequency non-linearities--peaks and valleys in response.  If your cartridge and horns have peaks in the same frequency range, and dips too, then it'll sound skewed.

Chris Campbell

Ellenbedavid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 09:13:42 AM »
Thanks for the information.  The original cartridge had same issue so I replaced with a new one from voice of music.

It sounds better but I still get the acoustic sound issue.
This is what I replaced the cartridge with:
Magnavox flat "tail" cartridge replacement kit with later issue Magnavox/EV cartridge with diamond LP/sapphire 78 needle, tone arm wire harness and instruction sheeT.

Where is a good place to purchase capacitors?

Thanks,

David

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 10:57:51 PM »
Choose "links" at the top, then "parts suppliers," and there's a link to Sal's Capacitor Corner.  I bought one of his capacitor selections (film capacitors).  Here's another source:  http://www.justradios.com/.   And then there are the big ones, Mouser and Digi-Key.

Chris Campbell