Author Topic: 1963 Grundig KS590  (Read 1081 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
1963 Grundig KS590
« on: July 25, 2017, 10:36:14 AM »
I debated if this should go under Sightings but I already agreed to buy it. https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/ele/6199091960.html It has six speakers, push-pull EL84 stereo amp, and a multiplex adapter. I have no fear of German stuff, as an electronic nut, knowing what the discrete components look like is that hardest part.

I must be the only local who would give this unit what it needs, a cleaning and electronic restoration. I looked at it 2 weeks ago and its in a backyard storage shed, but dry thank goodness. the seller contacted me an asked if I was still interested.

Unfortunately the reel-2-reel player is long gone but the Dual 1009 record changer is original. A tube and preamp capable of amplifying a magnetic cartridge is only something I have in a Fisher that needs almost the same level (total) restoration :(
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
Re: 1963 Grundig KS590
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 07:14:54 PM »
I love the German stuff also. I have one very similar. Mine also has the delete panel for the reel to reel. Great price . I paid $100 for mine and 1.5 hour drive one way. . German stuff around here always cost more and hard to come by.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
If yours is the KS490, that is a very desirable! Even more so than the 590, slightly different and the 590 has no Sams schematic listed. Grundig consoles like that were only sold around here after going solid state in 1967. I saw a KS490 at an antique radio swap meet go for $250, in great cosmetic condition and sounding like it was recapped-restored.

It was his mother's when she lived in NYC, so I suggested making room for it and doing his own refinish work. His listed price was not actually $25. I also offered to repair it instead. Tomorrow, we'll do a controlled power-up to see if there are any deal-breakers like bad transformers, including testing the output tubes. Attending to the capacitors, switches and some work on the Dual may bring it to life. That would actually make me money instead of spending it.

Not want to ignore something with such interesting parts, I told the seller Id give him $40 due to the poor overall cosmetics, regardless of my test results.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 05:23:01 PM »
I had a similar one 3 or 4 years ago (IIRC I paid $150 for it)... It had the RtoR and even had the original Microphones with it.  Great sounding unit but a bit of a PIA to work on. 

For me, on these German sets the finish is everything, and I would not purchase one that the did not have an excellent finish as trying to recreate the original would not be fun.

-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 07:07:54 PM »
I thought I had something unique but you guys already have one or had one. You were right on my model number Minion. You really know your stuff. I agree with you on the finish Harbourmaster. It would be hard to repair.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 11:54:05 AM »
This is now in my garage. I think Ill try a slow start just to see if there are any terminal issues like shorted or open transformers.

Like most German stuff, switches, jacks and tuning mechanisms are difficult to service. The pure sound and wacky-cool features makes them worth the trouble to me at least.

Ken - Your Grundig looks like new. Most of these had their R2R's liberated from them :(

Picard, Very nice, a keeper if only to have a token German but what kind of record player is in your 490?
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 06:53:30 PM »
I don't know much about the record player . This is only my second Grundig. Looks kinda cheap

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 09:06:15 PM »
Actually, it kinda looks like a Dual.  Check underneath--two pole motor or four?  That's usually a clue as to seriousness.

Chris Campbell

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 07:49:38 AM »
Yes, it looks like a Dual 1008 or 1008B