Author Topic: First LP  (Read 551 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
First LP
« on: July 25, 2017, 08:40:23 PM »
I was hauling along on my daily after-work walking route today and for some reason found myself whistling a familiar tune.  Hey, it was from an LP by the Dukes of Dixieland.  And then I remembered that their "Curtain Going Up" LP was the first one I had ever bought.  One day when I was in high school--1965 or earlier--I was in the cafeteria for lunch and there was some great music playing over the PA system.  I went back and asked the cafeteria ladies what it was.  The manager took me back to where the equipment was--Garrard RC-80 or -88 changer, a Heath A-9 amp--and looked.  Dukes of Dixieland.  I wrote the numbers down and ordered it at the record store.  Remember those?  They were places where you could walk in and look at records, maybe buy some.  What a great concept.  And I still have the LP (of course).

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
Re: First LP
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 10:00:54 AM »
The first stereo LP I ever bought, and still have, is "Calcutta" by Lawrence Welk, around Christmas time in 1959.  Another early stereo record I got was "Blue Hawaii" by Billy Vaughn.  I did not have a stereo instrument until 1963, so I played my new stereo records at my uncle's place.  He had a Zenith stereo.  I played a 45 rpm version of "Calcutta" on my little Truetone record player ( I still have that as well) and there was a world of difference between cheap mono and a good stereo.  Duchess Record Shop in Indianapolis had two floors of records, tapes and audio equipment and accessories.  Anything you could want or dream about in audio.  You could "sample" records in mono or stereo.  IIRC, the stereo turntable they used was a Miracord and the mono turntable was a Newcomb.  My dad got his TR-16 there ( I still have that) and all his records for his barn dance business.  He played 78's and 45's for the most part as he was not a fan of LP's.  Duchess had everything, old and new.  It was a miraculous, wonderous place to this farm kid in the late 1950's.

I built my first stereo from kit components for a 4-H project in 1963.  I still have most of it.  The Dynaco SCA-35 was $79.95, the AMD tuner was $39.95 and the Pilot 100 multiplex adapter was $19,95.  I built a Miracord changer, $59.95 and a set of University Sound speakers in walnut cabinets for around $100.  I loaned the changer and speakers to my brother and never saw them again.  I mowed lawns to pay for my first stereo system.  My grandfather thought I'd lost my mind, paying such prices for a "new-fangled Victrola."
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 09:29:53 AM »
The first new LP I bought was a Columbia album, Glenn Miller Collectors Choice.  It was the recordings he made with his first band, the remainder of the one he had organized for Ray Noble in the mid 30's.  The selections are unlike anything his later bands did, taken more from his arrangements he did for Red Nichols.  The selections are now available as an Mp3 download on Amazon.  Here is one selection.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJodE1eqtDQ
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 09:02:14 PM »
Wow, I like it.  It's a little closer to the jazz end of the spectrum than the pop/dance music end.  I wasn't aware of that work.  I'm a sucker for music from the '30s.

Chris Campbell

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 10:11:56 PM »
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 10:16:29 PM »
The first LP I bought was Pink Floyd's The Wall for $20 in near mint condition. Worth every penny.