Author Topic: Philco H1619 - small stereo console  (Read 528 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Philco H1619 - small stereo console
« on: September 01, 2017, 11:45:27 AM »
Picked up a small console yesterday from a CL ad that had no picture. Normally I do not bother but the mention of tubes and $20 price had me thinking I should.

The amp has only two single-ended 6AQ5 and two 6AU6 as pentode-connected preamps, but this transformer amp beats many others in this price range that simply have one 12AX7 and two 50C5, with NO transformer. The record changer is a Voice of Music

This 1960 came with documents I plan to upload to the "downloads". The 1960 stereophonic brochure is a great find, because I also have one of the more interesting models (four 6BQ5 and electrostatic) as an unrestored keeper.

Pics with next post
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Philco H1619 - small stereo console
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 01:45:29 PM »
Six speakers, with such a little amp. Sales literature says 12 watts. Two 4" detachable speakers snap onto a small rail, placing them behind the grill at the top.

The cables for remote-mounting the speakers must be 12 feet long and are wound up at the back cabinet rail. This really is a beginner's project, for someone just leaning the basics. It's all there: common tubes including 6X4 rectifier, V-M record changer, four electrolytic caps and less than a dozen paper/ceramic coupling caps.

Two 8-inch drivers in series across both single-ended secondaries with an 8 mH inductor in the circuit to block high frequencies. Two 5.25 inch speakers each with 50 mF crossover caps. The 4" detachables are also fed via the same caps.

Philco had some interesting ways to simulate a "phantom 3rd channel". Zenith, RCA and Motorola each had novel methods for their stereophonic models, but none are alike.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 05:57:23 PM »
So the low frequencies are handled by the two big speakers in series, making the amp basically a P-P device at low frequencies, and two single-ended amps at higher ones?

Chris Campbell

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 06:54:15 PM »
Great price . I always love it when they come with a brochure or manual.