Author Topic: Magnavox Imperial?  (Read 289 times)

orotone

• View Profile
Magnavox Imperial?
« on: September 04, 2017, 04:59:13 PM »
Found a Magnavox console for sale on ksl.com which is a popular advertising site in Utah.  Console had been for sale for 11 days and had fallen in price from $250 to $200.  Close to my brother so I had him pick it up and he bought it for $150.  He says radio works well and cabinet is in mint condition.  Seller had never tried the turntable.  It's about 4 hours from me so I won't see it in person until next week.  I grabbed the pictures off the advertisement.  Can anyone identify it for me?
Thanks,
Alan

vintage cltr

• Global Moderator
  • they're real and they're spectacular
    • View Profile
Re: Magnavox Imperial?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 07:07:17 PM »

it's an Imperial....

not pickup for $150
Loud and Vintage.... any questions?

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »
Probably a 1ST233L circa 1959-60.  "Italian Provincial" would be the cabinet style.  Looks like a natural walnut finish, but might be mahogany.  It would have the 8100 series split-frequency "bi-amp" amplifier and a 6400 series tuner.  Two ten-inch front-firing horns for the treble and two 15" side-firing cone speakers for the bass.  It has a Collaro Conquest changer, quite possibly equipped with an Electro-Voice model 26 ceramic stereo cartridge.  Just like the one in my Gallery.  Pretty decent performer with strangled bass response, typical of most Magnavox bi-amp instruments.  Its forte will be playing records.  Nearly impossible to beat a Magnavox stereo when it comes to playing records, back in their day.  Yours will have provisions for a Multiplex adapter, necessary if you want to listen to stereo FM.  It likely did not come with one when it was new, since stereo FM was not available until in 1961 some time.  MPX adapters are readily available and are not expensive, nor are they hard to install.  It will have 26 tubes when equipped with a 7000 series MPX adapter.  Fit and finish are second to none, again typical of Magnavox.  Second in line to the Concert Grand at the top of the Magnavox roster.  I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours I have had with mine.  There is information and expertise available on this site to help you with whatever questions you may have.  You would be well advised to either service the instrument yourself or have it serviced in order to assure its safe operation long term.  Capacitors and resistors mainly, check tubes and go thru the changer so it will work right.  Good luck.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

orotone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 10:00:48 AM »
Thanks so much for the help in identifying.  I've got lots of experience restoring old boat anchors so component replacement and alignment should be easy for me on this one assuming I can find the manuals/SAMS for it.  Glad its cabinet is in good shape as I'm not so good at that type of repair and I much prefer original finishes.
I'll post some better pictures when I have it in my possession.
Thanks,
Alan

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 12:17:26 PM »
Good buy and nice console.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »
The schematics you need are in the "Downloads" section on this forum, located at the top of this page.  Scroll down to "Magnificent Magnavox" then down to "Amplifiers" and find the one you need.  If you have questions or need help with whatever, we will be glad to assist you any way we can. 

Having restored mine, I would suggest that you replace all the 220K ohm grid resistors in the amplifier and check the cathode by-pass resistor for being burned.  Good luck.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 10:31:11 PM »
And, for clarification, the cabinet style on mine, and the one the OP posted pictures of, is "Italian Contemporary".  I always get it wrong for some reason.   :-[

orotone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 11:10:51 PM »
Electra,
I appreciate your extra time and input.  I will pay close attention to those resistors.
Thanks,
Alan

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 11:29:24 PM »
You are most welcome, Alan.