Author Topic: Up north in Michigan  (Read 2273 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Up north in Michigan
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2018, 09:20:42 AM »
Chris, if you want cold and snow, come to sunny Arizona!  It is 38 here right now and there is fresh snow on the ski slopes up north...... ;)
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2018, 11:23:19 AM »
     Yes, a 90 year old friend of mine got something a few years ago that tests itself once a week and comes on so fast when power is lost he barely sees a flicker. Maybe I can get the LPG version of that.
       We were all set up at my mothers house where we just had to wheel the generator ouside the garage and shut the door on the cord so we wouldn't get fumes. The circuit breaker panel was just inside the garage and I added 3 way switches and plug outlets to a separate attached box that let us hook a short thick male-to-male power cord from generator to outlets and flip the switches that took the oil burner and refrigerator breaker hot leads out of the utility power and directly to the generator. I didn't know how to wire the relays that would have done it automatically so when other lights came on with restored power we had to manually flip the switches and turn off the generator. Then we could safely pull out the male to male connector cord.
       I had just gotten this all hooked up and working when we had a 3 foot blizzard. We lost power for several days and weren't shoveled out for a week. I don't think I have the energy or stamina to hook the same things up again, and besides now I can afford the automatic startup units. I'm afraid to even change an overhead light bulb nowadays.
          This energetic young guy that took down a rotten dead tree near my house the other day had to dance wildly to get out of the way of the falling tree. I'd have been dead from the falling tree if not from accidentally sawing my leg off . So turning a heavy radio chassis upside down is about my limit. I want to make it to 90 years old like my friend, and I notice he doesn't try to do things himself anymore either. That's enough of an example for me. Discovering this website gives me a lot to live for !!! 

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2018, 11:50:49 AM »
It's said that it's difficult to get older folk to change.  They just don't realize how many changes come about and must be adapted to, in ones' life as we age.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2018, 01:01:34 PM »
It's not the change that bothers me is the complications that go with it.  ;)

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2018, 08:02:45 PM »
It's said that it's difficult to get older folk to change.  They just don't realize how many changes come about and must be adapted to, in ones' life as we age.

I realized a long time ago that change was going to happen whether I liked it or not.  No amount of disapproval is going to halt it.  That doesn't mean that we can't evaluate things with a critical eye.  But it does mean keeping an open mind. I don't much like rap music or "new age" music.  But that's a matter of taste and opinion.  We fall into old-fartism when we don;t like anything new.  Think about our vehicles, for example.  Old cars are lots of fun.  But new ones are much more efficient.  They are far better built.  Engines run 200,000 miles with no issues.  Suspensions don't require maintenance (as late as the early '60s, the chassis grease interval was 1,000 miles).  The cars just go and go and go without any attention beyond adding gas.  My 2005 truck at 147,000 miles has its original battery and 2nd exhaust system, and I'm in a cold climate.

It's probably a good idea not to be an early adopter, unless you've got a lot of money to dispense.  Its OK to wait a bit and see what works.  But lamenting the passage of the good old days just makes interesting people walk the other way.

Chris Campbell