Author Topic: RCA VLT-49-S with an RP-230 series record changer questions  (Read 1618 times)

Pizmo

• View Profile
Re: RCA VLT-49-S with an RP-230 series record changer questions
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 12:44:48 PM »
If that's the original cartridge in your unit, then it's probably the one you need.  Hum on a phono input is usually a grounding issue for the shielded cable from the cartridge, down the arm, to the input on the amplifier.  Maybe you've got the wires connected wrong on the cartridge, if they have clips and were removed?

Chris Campbell
Good guess Mr. Campbell. I checked the pins at the cartridge and found green corrosion on the grounding pin. So I cleaned the pins and now no more humming.

I was also able to solve my muffled and flat sound quality issue by replacing my cartridge and needle (luckily a local record store had one in stock).

However all is not perfect yet

Now I am having an issue with far too much bass. Every beat of a drum produces loud violent thumps. I have to keep the bass setting on 0 and cannot turn the sound up passed 2 for fear of blowing my speakers.

Any tips on how to correct an issue with too much bass?

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 08:35:52 PM »
Did you replace the cartridge (the generating device) and the needle (stylus) that fits into it, or just the needle?  Most record shops would only carry the needle.  If so, one possibility is still a faulty cartridge.  Or maybe some passive components like resistors and capacitors in the phono-preamp stage.  I assume the bass excess is only on the phono input and not on the AM/FM tuner inputs.  That's a clue as to where the defect arises. 

Chris Campbell

Pizmo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 11:59:43 PM »
Did you replace the cartridge (the generating device) and the needle (stylus) that fits into it, or just the needle?  Most record shops would only carry the needle.  If so, one possibility is still a faulty cartridge.  Or maybe some passive components like resistors and capacitors in the phono-preamp stage.  I assume the bass excess is only on the phono input and not on the AM/FM tuner inputs.  That's a clue as to where the defect arises. 

Chris Campbell
Yes the excessive bass is only on the phono setting, and yes I replaced both the stylus and the cartridge. The local record shop I bought it from was reluctant to sell it to me becuase even though it was still new it the box it was still several decades old. Perhaps I did indeed get a bad cartridge. If so what do I do as any cartridge I can buy will have the same issues

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 09:29:21 PM »
I would be inclined to examine a schematic diagram and identify the related passive components--capacitors, resistors, especially the caps--and either measure their values or (as those of us without capacitor testers do) replace them.  I always sneer at "parts replacers" in auto repair shops, but in this case it can be cost-justified.

Have you tried the old cartridge with the new stylus?

Chris Campbell

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 10:25:44 AM »
I recall having an excessive bass issue on an RCA of this vintage but it was more likely a drop off of high frequency response. I replaced probably all the coupling caps in the preamp/amp but the issue remained but was much better than before. I was also suspecting the crossover caps to the speakers but a substitution did not improve the situation.

Try this: Patch your phonograph's output into a known good amp/speakers and see how it sounds.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave