Author Topic: Consoles and audiophiles?  (Read 857 times)

Pizmo

• View Profile
Consoles and audiophiles?
« on: September 18, 2017, 04:12:50 PM »
I'm just curious how these beautiful old consoles rank up on the world of audiophiles

Do audiophiles consider most or at least the high end console stereos as a quality setup, or do they consider all consoles junk?

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Consoles and audiophiles?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 08:43:35 PM »
It depends on how you define "audiophile."  The real high-end devotees would sneer.  But I consider myself an audiophile--somebody who likes high-quality music reproduction--but I also like old AM radios and phono consoles and all sorts of electronic sound reproduction stuff.  The consoles aren't at the peak of perfection.  They rarely use magnetic phono cartridges, which generally have a wider-range output and are gentler on records, and the record changers or turntables often have less sophisticated bearings and heavier stylus force, and poorer rumble and wow and speed accuracy characteristics.  The amplifiers may have less stringent specifications.  But the consoles an produce pleasing sound and can be fun to work with.  Some are very handsome devices.  Let's not get too hung up on audiophile approval.   Let's not get too jealous of the high-end folks either and write them off as  a bunch of snobs.   OK, some are, but lots aren't.  Let;s just enjoy our devices and have fun.

Chris Campbell

Magnavoxland

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 02:54:19 PM »
The McIntosh crowd might consider our consoles as junk.  Certainly guys that spend $500 on a patch cord would...........

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 04:27:28 PM »
The nuts who spend 15k on a turntable and 3 foot thick concrete floors and granite plinths would probably never consider a console.  But I don't think prison has the best acoustics so I don't have mine on a concrete floor.

Overall, I'd say consoles may be poor in the speaker department.  Speakers have to be attenuated because of the phonograph and so the cabinet doesn't shake apart!

I like my record changer, my r2r and radio all in one, thank you very much.

As I said before--playing 60's records on a 60's console is what they were made for.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 09:47:23 PM »
I'll just add this.  The sound of an old "hyper-stereo" LP played on a Magnavox tube stereo instrument is hard to beat.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 08:41:27 AM »
One advantage of consoles is the matching of components by the manufacturer's design engineers. Fisher comes to mind immediately as does other notable manufacturers.

I can certainly appreciate the argument that individual components have their design focused on one component, often done separately from what it will ultimately have to work with. i.e. the amplifier manufacturer may not intend his equipment to be used with just any speaker, so the audiophile has the latitude to audition several and choose that which may sound best to him.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Feldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 11:32:15 AM »
That's a perfectly reasonable agrument in my opinion. That's kind of my though process.

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 08:59:33 PM »
No general answer here. Some console manufacturers employed well engineered loudspeaker designs and quality drivers. Some did not. There are a few consoles that use some audiophile grade components. The Magnavox Windsor utilized a Stephen's Tru-Sonic horn/driver combination, which many audiophiles consider to be up there or even superior to the Altec Lansing combos. There's a reason they go for the money they do.

But many of the common consoles are made to be more furniture-esque and prioritize that over the audiophile aspects of it's loudspeaker systems.