Author Topic: 1949 Pilot Console  (Read 171 times)

AirChief

• View Profile
1949 Pilot Console
« on: September 22, 2017, 02:20:39 PM »
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1949 Pilot  Radio-Phono Console.  This one is in the same cabinet as their high end $1,200 projection tv of the same year.  Would a Pilot of this vintage be considered Hi-Fi and on par with lets say a Magnavox Windsor?

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: 1949 Pilot Console
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 05:47:13 PM »
Yes, that Pilot may be an FM-200, a 22-tube set with a separate amp chassis, two speakers and push-pull 6L6 output tubes.

I looked at a website I use to visually identify models, radioatticarchives. A number of Pilot radios appeared with only one console, the FM-12. Then I checked another excellent site, NostalgiaAir, which has resources in the form of Rider's Schematics. The FM200 shows by its circuits that its quite a high-end unit.

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

AirChief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 08:04:45 PM »
Thanks for your help Minion.  I was having a hard time finding this one anywhere.  The tuner looks completely different, and the amp seems to be missing a transformer when compared to the FM-200 photos, so I feel it is a little different. It's not my favorite, and I certainly would have a difficult time finding room for it, but I told the guy before he puts it on the curb I will give him some cash.

The only thing I can find is this advertisement.   http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/l-bdpnwl97ypdr4u.jpg
Hopefully it finds a home before he gets tired of seeing it, but I'll rescue it if I have to. 

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 09:38:38 PM »
Pilot was one of the interesting pioneer post-war manufacturers and I would rescue it also.

I got a Pilot 12" table model TV on CL a few years ago, it was a 1949 and has an FM tuner.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave