Author Topic: RCA SHF-6  (Read 1705 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: RCA SHF-6
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 07:57:49 PM »
Really . This thing has five idler wheels? That's like $100

Somebody forget to call the bean counters when they were designing it. 

Are the existing ones all really bad, as in dead and useless? Sometimes you can revive them by sanding the surface a bit. Try spinning the wheel in a drill press and holding a bit of fine sandpaper against it to grind off a bit of glaze.  Heck, hard to lose if the option is throwing money at them.  And for the big one, at least, you could try replacing the tire with a big O-ring, or maybe two of them side-by-side for more width. 

Chris Campbell

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 08:24:21 AM »
I might just buy the two for the 33 rpm

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 11:27:15 PM »
You can't use O-rings for these New Orthophonic idlers.  Must order a replacement (recap).
--Larry

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 10:36:13 AM »
I have two and possibly a third RCA console's changer to restore in my collection. They are 1962-3, lower priced changers typical of what was sold locally.

I guess this is the upside for not having any local top-of-line Orthophonic-level players to collect.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 12:59:19 PM »
I have two and possibly a third RCA console's changer to restore in my collection. They are 1962-3, lower priced changers typical of what was sold locally.

I guess this is the upside for not having any local top-of-line Orthophonic-level players to collect.
Yours should all have permanent metal stepped turrets, the motor moves the idler up and down to select the right speed turret.  That was a real improvement over the individual turrets that RCA used in the 50s.
--Larry