Author Topic: Are the W801 and the W711 interchangeable?  (Read 599 times)

mkoerner

• View Profile
Are the W801 and the W711 interchangeable?
« on: October 03, 2017, 06:49:29 PM »
I recently acquired a console with the W801 turntable (for free). Unfortunately, the table only plays at 45 speed, and even then has some issue. It's probably a simple cleaning issue, but I was going to try to replace the table in the meantime and have found a W711 for sale. Looking at the pic, they SEEM interchangeable, all the same "plug-ins", but I figured before buying I'd ask you knowledgeable folk.  :)

Thanks in advance for feedback!

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Are the W801 and the W711 interchangeable?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 12:48:55 PM »
I would like to respond to your post so you won't feel your inquiry is being ignored.  I'm not the most knowledgeable on the later units.  If what I am about to post is not right, there are folks on here who will not hesitate to correct me.

My understanding of the 700 series (some) turntables is they are predominately plastic, don't always work very well, and many consider them to be un-repairable.  Based on this and the fact that there is not a lot of difference in Magnavox changers from the early stereo days, the 700 series should interchange.  This considers that the connections are the same and that it will fit the cabinet.  Good luck.

Here is some information on the 700 series.

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=269161
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 01:10:51 PM »
I was wondering how to respond just before Electra 225 found a good thread for your player's issue. I was not familiar with the W701, only the W600 series.
Picture is a W801 I restored and sold the console, it used a very small EV cartridge that used a fixed diamond stylus (cant flip to 3 mil 78).

One thing with all these changers is you can't switch between 33 and 45 unless its off.

Try to work on the W801 Micromatic if you can. Those parts on the W801 were pretty standard and even if you do need an idler pulley, it will be a very reliable and fun player when the initial issue is fixed.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

ha1156w

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 02:56:23 AM »
A 1969-made W801 I just worked on had the EV275 cartridge with a flipover stylus and also had a 3-pin Molex for the audio output.  I know W620 and some later W700 series, for example, had phono plugs for the audio.   Be on the lookout for that difference.

Additionally, I have noticed an identical basic chassis between W801 and a similar W748 that I have.  They simplified the tonearm pivot assembly on the underside, removed the one-way clutch on the platter, and added the cue mechanism on the W748 of course.   Same 4-pole motor and idler mechanics were used between the two series.