Author Topic: Hello - starting the adventure  (Read 454 times)

childof60

• View Profile
Hello - starting the adventure
« on: October 06, 2017, 05:51:30 PM »
Hello,

I fell in love with a Stromberg-Carlson Integrity Series console this week at an estate sale in Athens, Georgia - with love winning over common sense .  It seems to be not in the catalog as it has has a very 60's styling particularly different compared to the Italian example in Pat's brochure.  So, this stunning MCM restore will be my next project.  The cabinet condition is very close to perfect (really).  The turntable and electronics - well that is where the fun will be.  I am reasonably experienced with solid state restoration but this will be my first tube system.  The turntable restore I do not expect to be a big challenge.  The speakers are also interesting as they look a little like AR-2's with cardboard covers.

Any tips and suggestions are appreciated.  I will post a few "before" pictures as I start the dis-assembly. 

Tim

childof60

• View Profile
Re: Hello - starting the adventure
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 05:17:44 AM »
An update.  Once the fifty years of dust was cleared it seems the electronics are unmolested.  The console condition is nearly perfect with the front Stromberg-Carlson badge broken.  I found the broken piece in the bottom of the record bin (first bit of good luck).  No restoration of the cabinet will be required other than careful cleaning.  I really like the compact size of the console - about 40 inches wide - with angled legs not depicted in any online photos.  The cloth and finish for the cherry a very good match.  Originally I was thinking of installing a newer integrated receiver and a more modern turntable but with the limited space any change would require major surgery of the cabinet.  The look is so interesting I have decided to try the restore  option.  The tuner seems to work - the amplifier is inoperable. 

I started the disassembly by removing the RS-504 box (sealed) speakers.  The speakers seem similar to early KLH speakers with some kind of particle board covered in a corrugated material as if hardwood veneer was an option. They sound reasonably good tested with my Sansui shop system.  Fortunately cloth surrounds so re-sealing will be performed to fully restore the surrounds.  I have not checked to see if a capacitor cross over is hidden in the fill.  My KLH Model 6 speakers will fit the console cabinet as a potential upgrade.

Next the turntable.  The Garrard model 88 MK II was frozen and removed for cleaning.  Nice Shure cartridge but trashed needle.  Based on Audiokarma comments the cartridge is quite well respected.  A new stylus is on order.  The mechanism was totally locked from dried grease.  With a little heat, alcohol swab cleaning, and silicone spray that problem was solved.  One of the rubber motor mounts had deteriorated and caused the motor to run slow.  A small shim has fixed the issue.  A little furniture polish and I am done with the turntable.

The "Stereo 6" amplifier will be next.  I plan to replace the capacitors and check out the wiring for age related cracking.  Hopefully it will not prove a trip to the junkyard kind of project.  I have limited information online concerning restoration of this amplifier as it is not as desirable as other models.  The face plate condition is excellent with only minor cleaning required.  I am trying to plan the best approach to removing it from the cabinet.  I expect the electronic restoration will require at least a month.

This has been a fun project so far and a very good diversion from speaker and turntable restorations.  I have not decided the ultimate place for the console as WAF comes into to play once it is ready to leave my work shop.  So it may end up for sale.  I have attached a few not great pictures.  If anyone has information on the Stereo 6 amplifier please drop me a message as I am looking for a schematic.

Tim

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 01:32:13 PM »
Hey Tim,

I'd like to see a picture of the RS-504 speakers if you have one.

-Tim (in South GA)

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 02:13:25 PM »
Replacing the original speakers with newer ones may alter the sound of the console, and potentially not for the better.  I would not put a lot of faith in anything you find on AudioKarma.  Stromberg-Carlson built high-quality instruments that are not often seen.  I would recommend you either restore the instrument to original condition or sell it to someone who would appreciate it for what it is.  Changing it may ruin it and any potential monetary value it may have.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

childof60

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 08:55:35 PM »
Hey electro225,

I certainly understand your concern with modifying this console.  I am of the same mind when it comes to making changes just to make a change.  Most of my previous projects have been restoration to the original condition.  The only time I typically make a change is when the failed part is simply not obtainable.  The more i get into this project the more I am impressed by the craftsmanship of the builders.  I keep finding small thoughtful details that are unique -for example a neat little light in the turntable enclosure.  This is a console worthy of restoration.  Potential economic gain is not why I take on projects like this.

I worked today on the electronics.  The amplifier and tuner are functional with the preamp/control section not powering up.  It looks like the tuner requires and external FM multiplexer for true stereo.  Doubtful I will ever find the multiplex module.  The main issue to get into the electronics will be lots of things to disconnect before  removing the unit from the cabinet.  I am very careful at this point to not in haste create new problems.  I am resigned that I will not be able to pre-order the caps as no luck on finding a schematic.  I see at least four can electrolytic caps I will likely need to "re-stuff" to keep the external look the same.  Not the quickest approach - details do matter.

Tim (in South Georgia) - what would you like to see?  I have not opened the enclosures to find the cross overs as this should be a reasonably easy repair effort.  I may need to refill the boxes due to the age. 

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 06:28:45 AM »
Tim,

That's a beautiful looking console and Greg, Electra 225, is right that you really don't see Stromberg-Carlson's too often.  I have never seen one in my area.  Enjoy your restoration!

Bill