Author Topic: Greetings, the search for knowledge begins  (Read 147 times)

TomDean

• View Profile
Greetings, the search for knowledge begins
« on: October 07, 2017, 12:29:22 PM »
Hi all,
I discovered my Magnavox about 7 months ago at our local Habitat for Humanity store. It was in incredible condition with the original paperwork, but the turntable didn't move the sound past the needle.. The radio has been wonderful in all it's tube glory, until I heard a pop last week and a low background hum started as soon as it warms up.  I'll be hunting through your vast posts for leads on getting back to health, but will greatly appreciate any direction. I hope to get the Disney Haunted House record spinning by Oct. 31st!
I've attached a couple photos for inspiration.
Happy fall,
Tom

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Greetings, the search for knowledge begins
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 04:04:57 PM »
Congratulations on becoming the proud owner of a beautiful Magnificent Magnavox.  With a little TLC, that baby will sing to you for another 50 years.

Your instrument, like every old console stereo, will benefit greatly from what I call a "major tune-up".  There are capacitors and resistors in there that have drifted in value over time and need to be replaced.  Test the tubes.  Then clean all the controls, paying close attention to the function and external speaker switches.  Then you need to go thru the changer, replacing the drive tire and cleaning and lubing the mechanism so it will cycle properly.  The motor mounts will likely be hard and will need replacement.  You can troubleshoot your "no sound" condition by putting a finger on the wires from the cartridge and see if you get a hum out of the amplifier.  IF yes, you have a bad cartridge or connections.  If no, you need to find out what is open from the cartridge to the amplifier.  A schematic will guide you thru circuits.  Service literature is obtained by using the model number off the tuner and amplifier chasssis, stamped in heavy black ink.  Numbers such as "88-03-00" and 78-08-00 are examples, but may not be yours exactly.  Depending on what amp and tuner you have, the schematics may be available, for free, from the "Downloads" section of this forum, found at the top of the home page.  Scroll down to "Magnificent Magnavox" then scroll down to "Amps" and find the one you need.  Your instrument appears to be perhaps a model 1ST621 circa 1962.

There are lots of folks on here who can help you with any concern you may have.  We are here to help.  Good luck.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 08:58:27 PM »
Welcome to the site, Tom. That looks like a 1962. I have a similar model named Normandy in "provincial fruitwood". Its been recapped and I have not even put it all back together yet. Too many projects but its one of my favorites.

Yours probably has a tube amplifier and tube tuner.

See what the chassis numbers are and I bet all the needed information is here in "downloads" Tuner-preamp might be 79-01 etc and amp is 93-00 etc. It may have an FM multiplex adapter 3-tube chassis also. The record player is the best and easiest to restore IMHO.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TomDean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 10:17:16 AM »
Thank you for the tips, I'm getting into it today as i'm suffering every day i can't listen to the tube warmed music.