Author Topic: Trying to identify and place a value on this Curtis Mathes  (Read 143 times)

Arthur_15

• View Profile
Trying to identify and place a value on this Curtis Mathes
« on: October 11, 2017, 12:54:08 AM »
Didn't realize I needed a console stereo until I saw one on craigslist last week.  That one turned out to be not worth the trouble, so I'm looking for others.  Definitely want a modern mid century look, fully functioning, with good sound.

Does anyone know anything about this one.  I think this is a fairly high end brand, but not sure about the particular model or condition and what it is worth:

https://denver.craigslist.org/atq/d/curtis-mathes-am-fm-stereo/6282811372.html

Feel free to suggest others.  Thanks!

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Trying to identify and place a value on this Curtis Mathes
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 09:41:16 AM »
You made a similar post on another forum.  I wanted to respond there, but there are too many snoots on that forum who irritate me. 

The best advice I can give you is buy what you like.  Do not expect a stereo that may be 40 or 50 years old to be in perfect working condition when you buy it.  Expect to have it restored electronically before it will be suitable and dependable to use.  Probably a solid state instrument would be a better bet if you are not skilled in electronic repair.   The tube instruments have more collector appeal as a general rule, so they cost more.  For the most part, solid state instruments do not have the following the tube sets do.  I would not give much for a solid state set, certainly not over $100 for a working instrument in perfect condition, on a good day.  If you pay too much, it is only money.  I personally am not interested in anything that does not start with an "M", but that is just me.  RCA, Zenith, Magnavox, Motorola, CM, even some Silvertone are all good brands to consider.  Magnavox tends to have more formal cabinetry, RCA and GE not so much.  Suit yourself.  And enjoy.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

HiFiFun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 06:11:10 PM »
Agree with Electra225.
Curtis-Mathes made very good stereos.
That modern style/finish is very nice and a bit scarce.

I would offer less to the seller, making sure he/she
knows that a complete amplifier/radio circuit
going over is required.

The record changer also should be cleaned and
possibly a new drive (idler) wheel installed.

BUT, once the above is done, the C-M will last many
more decades of play. The sound should be very good.
Good luck !
HFF

Arthur_15

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:52:56 AM »
Thanks a ton guys.  This is all really helpful.  I'll let you know how it turns out if I decide to take the plunge.

Arthur_15

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 10:01:29 PM »
Just wanted anyone who is interested to know that I did get the Curtis Mathes.  Happy with what I paid, original owner, excellent condition...I'm in love.  Thanks again for the guidance.

HiFiFun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 11:08:45 PM »
One word: WOW !

Congratulations,
HFF