Author Topic: Mathes HiFi Console  (Read 426 times)

Mortega64

• View Profile
Mathes HiFi Console
« on: October 15, 2017, 08:58:59 PM »
Hello all,

Two weekends ago I was browsing around a local estate auction when I stumbled across a Mathes HiFi console.

This console is a first for me, I always have overlooked consoles in the past due to the size, style, ss components, and the (to me) cheap/plastic-y guts of the units I see.

My feelings toward this console changed when I looked at the chassis I saw 4 Amperex EL84 'Bugle-Boys' looking back at me...as well as long black-plate RCA 12ax7's and 7025's.

I thought "Eureka, parts!" It also had a nice looking power transformer too...I was able to purchase the set for $17 and carted it home.

So...after a good look at this unit once it was home, I decided this was NOT a parts set.

This Mathes HiFi is the Nicest console I have ever seen, solid cherry fronts and paneling throughout. Plus the whole thing is in great shape.

The console itself isn't all too big (4' long x 1.5' deep x 2.5' tall) and has an integrated stereo amp and a TT. They did manage to stuff 6 speakers into the unit: 2x12" woofers, 2x8" mids, and 2x5" tweeters.

Here are a few pics:

If anybody can give me direction as to what model this console is, I would be appreciative.

All EIA codes point to a mid-1958 build date if that helps.

Also, the TT (VoM 1200 series) seems kinda flimsy, is there a consensus on how these perform? I also am concerned about the tracking weight of the unit (6+ grams)...

I was thinking about yanking it in favor of a Garrard RC88/4 that I have in storage.

Any info would be helpful, thank you all.

HiFiFun

• View Profile
Re: Mathes HiFi Console
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 09:35:11 AM »
Is it me, or did those photos not post ?

RE: V-M 1200. They are not flimsy; they're workhorses in millions of
record players. I would only replace w/Garrard, if you didn't
have to cut the plinth. (to keep originality, only my preference)

A new ceramic stereo Pfanstiehl cart at 4-6 grams will track nicely.
I have replaced many old carts, and they function well.
HiFiFun

C-M history website for you:

http://www.curtis-mathes.com/curtismatheshistory.htm

Mortega64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 12:47:09 PM »
Sorry about not having any pictures, lets see if this works...

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 01:55:07 PM »
I like the VM 1200 better than the BSR changers often seen in Curtis Mathes consoles.  I don't believe a Garrard RC88/4 will track any lighter than a VM 1200 anyway.

HiFiFun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 11:11:08 PM »
Gosh, another WOW !

You guys are nailing the C-M's this week.
Congrats to you, also.

HFF