Author Topic: Curtis Mathis missing prototype from Austin fire  (Read 497 times)

Arthur_15

• View Profile
Curtis Mathis missing prototype from Austin fire
« on: October 25, 2017, 09:26:04 PM »
My first console...and I think it is a pretty special one.  It is a 1960 CM prototype that made it out of the Austin shop before it mysteriously went up in flames.  The Curtis Mathes site confirmed this and say it is only the second one they’ve seen.  I picked it up for a fair price off craigslist.  Single owner.  Been sitting in their parents home unused for 30-40 years.  Here it is when I dropped it off at the shop for a tune up.

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Curtis Mathis missing prototype from Austin fire
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 09:50:35 AM »
Very nice!  Walnut is one of my favorite woods and yours looks great.  Will you do a complete rebuild?

Bill

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 02:39:08 PM »
How do you know that it's a prototype, why would it have left the building in the first place, and how did it wind up in the home of a consumer???
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »
Your shop looks really clean . I would love to see a picture of how yours is set up. I see you have them stacked to the ceiling like me

Arthur_15

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 04:19:55 PM »
According to the people at http://www.curtis-mathes.com/curtismathesradios.htm

"This unit has a lot of the design features of some of the missing prototypes from the Austin, Texas, Curtis Mathes plant fire.

A very few of these wonderful designed stereos made it to the Curtis Mathes Showrooms across the country before the tragic fire that destroyed the CM plant in Austin. These units are some of the most remarkable finds for collectors."

I do not have a shop.  The pic is of a commercial shop who is replacing capacitors, fixing the turntable (and stuff).  I am keeping everything as original as possible and fixing as little as possible.  Excited to see and hear it in a few days.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 02:18:38 PM »
That is one of the more compact Curtis-Mathes instruments I have seen.  Great find.  Good luck.

If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....