Author Topic: greetings from olympia washington.  (Read 543 times)

xonkism

• View Profile
greetings from olympia washington.
« on: October 26, 2017, 10:24:00 AM »
I have got the console bug pretty bad. In addition to these, I have a garage filled with projects, which I will share with you as they are completed. ones not pictured that are close: a 1950 motorola waldorf and 1963 motorola sk111, a very beautiful early 50s capehart (ITT), and an early 50s magnavox that I haven't even started. My wife said to me this morning, 'how many more consoles do you need?', to which I had no answer. haha. happy to know that I'm not alone...

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
Re: greetings from olympia washington.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 02:21:28 PM »
Welcome Aboard!

You have come to the right place!

Very nice collection you have there. You sound a bit like me [currently 8 consoles in the garage and 2 stashed at work] except it looks like you have more room inside the house for display, I only have room for one at a time.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 03:03:08 PM »
Glad to have you here. That is a great variety you have. What are those in the first and last photos?

Looking forward to project documentation.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

xonkism

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 07:54:08 PM »
Glad to have you here. That is a great variety you have. What are those in the first and last photos?

Looking forward to project documentation.

the first is a 1963 general electric rc-1711a vacu-magic solid walnut console. a beast full of ten speakers and this weird vacuum system that is honestly, a pain in the ass. sounds great, though, and is in very near mint condition. I've heard these are pretty scarce. the last one is a 1964 fisher diplomat II in distressed walnut. my personal favorite and also in very close to mint condition. 50 dollar cl find. love those tubes...

xonkism

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 07:55:21 PM »
Welcome Aboard!

You have come to the right place!

Very nice collection you have there. You sound a bit like me [currently 8 consoles in the garage and 2 stashed at work] except it looks like you have more room inside the house for display, I only have room for one at a time.

yeah, having too much space has been to my detriment  ;) Im in deep trouble if I ever have to move...

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 10:50:18 PM »
Wow, I'm jealous of your space, too, and of the great finds.  I have to sneak my commuter bicycle past the '56 V-M console and the '35 GE radio in the garage, past the sea kayak and wood lathe and other great stuff.  To get the Mustang out of the other side I have to roll the '56 Magnavox and a '55 Evinrude Fastwin out first.  Now I have to find space for a shelf rescued from an office building, one that's sized perfectly to hold more LPs.

How about photos of the Capehart and early '50s Magnavox?

Chris Campbell

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 12:46:08 PM »

[[/quote]

the first is a 1963 general electric rc-1711a vacu-magic solid walnut console. a beast full of ten speakers and this weird vacuum system that is honestly, a pain in the ass. sounds great, though, and is in very near mint condition. I've heard these are pretty scarce. the last one is a 1964 fisher diplomat II in distressed walnut. my personal favorite and also in very close to mint condition. 50 dollar cl find. love those tubes...
[/quote]

I thought that was a Fisher-LOL I have a Custom Electra VII also in I.P. walnut - that is truly distressed but all recapped and waiting for a refinish.

That GE is legendary - having only heard of the novel vacuum stylus cleaner.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

xonkism

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 10:58:18 PM »
Wow, I'm jealous of your space, too, and of the great finds.  I have to sneak my commuter bicycle past the '56 V-M console and the '35 GE radio in the garage, past the sea kayak and wood lathe and other great stuff.  To get the Mustang out of the other side I have to roll the '56 Magnavox and a '55 Evinrude Fastwin out first.  Now I have to find space for a shelf rescued from an office building, one that's sized perfectly to hold more LPs.

How about photos of the Capehart and early '50s Magnavox?

Chris Campbell

add to these two motorolas that I am also working on. a 1963 motorola and a 1950 9fm21 that are both approaching completion. I think that the 9fm21 is pretty scarce, too. and a multitude of other weird projects... I will shoot some pix of the motorolas soon. both very cool.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 06:42:43 AM »
Welcome!

You must have a basement....if not a large garage?  Basements are wonderful things, doubles the size of your house and you have places for lots of extra stuff.  ;D 

What's the unit with the changer on top? 

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 06:50:37 PM »
I have a console very similar in innards, but not cabinetry, to your early '50s Magnavox.  I cannot date it accurately.  Yours seems to have the same uncommon record changer. I had posted photos of mine a long time ago and will search them out again.  Mine is on a single chassis with P-P 6V6 output and a single 12" field coil speaker.

Chris Campbell