Author Topic: 1963 general electric 'vacu-magic' record player  (Read 194 times)

xonkism

• View Profile
1963 general electric 'vacu-magic' record player
« on: October 26, 2017, 10:30:14 AM »
does anybody have any experience with these? I am having trouble getting my table to operate correctly. It seems that the vacuum system is finicky and causes nothing but problems. I am remiss to pull out original equipment (especially since this unit is in pristine condition) but if I can't get it to work correctly, then it is partially useless. and suggestions?

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: 1963 general electric 'vacu-magic' record player
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 10:57:13 PM »
Tell us about the vacuum system--is it a record-cleaning system, or something else?  I had one of those 1950s Lincoln record changers that used vacuum clamps to grab and flip LPs so it could play both sides.  The rubber parts had hardened so it was mostly of curiosity value, and I donated it to a local mechanical music device museum:  http://musichouse.org/.

Chris Campbell

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 11:12:27 AM »
If the vacuum motor works, you may have to replace the rubber tubing if it has hardened, it needs to be very soft and not stop the tonearm from moving freely.  The record changer is basically a VM 1200 series.  Ge only made the Vacu Magic for a couple of years in the very early 1960s.

For those who have never seen one:
https://books.google.com/books?id=wEQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA17&dq=%22general+electric%22+%22vacu-magic%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-uezSmJHXAhXEwFQKHa4cC5kQ6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q=%22general%20electric%22%20%22vacu-magic%22&f=false

HiFiFun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 03:55:21 PM »
Agree with Ken.
I rebuilt the V-M changer in one of these
for an acquaintance. The tubing was stiff.
The pump did not function, so we disconnected the tubing.
That's why that tonearm is about 6 inches wide, to accommodate
the vacuum hose inside it !

These must be the height of hi-fi Madison Avenue boys' ideas.
The sound, though, is really concert hall size. Great amplifier.
And, yes, these girls are very heavy.
HFF