Author Topic: Hello, from the heart of Central California  (Read 799 times)

cheddarbob388

• View Profile
Hello, from the heart of Central California
« on: October 27, 2017, 02:06:27 AM »
Hello all, Time to introduce myself, I am Bill, I live in the wonderful little city of Atwater CA. I have been an electronics geek since i was 10, taught myself to solder at 12, and spent every elective and science requirement i could in High school in the electronics class, I learned alot about electronics, but never anything about tubes. That was in the 90's. Now here i am in my late 30's and wanted a challenge, Started with a beautiful 59 Clairtone S-301 that my wife got me for my birthday, got to enjoy changing the caps (electrolytics and paper) changing the dial string and hunting down the bad resistor that kept the right channel from working. Now i am in the process of restoring a GE console for my brother and a 59 Magnavox Imperial in Danish Modern that I picked up for $40 and I am supposed to sell when i am done cleaning up the electronics, the cabinet is in great shape and now the amp is perfect, tuner is almost there..

enough rambling, Hello all, and I will get some pics of the projects up soon

Wonderful to have a community here for all of us nerds for the vintage

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Hello, from the heart of Central California
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 06:26:07 PM »
Your story is typical.  Most of us just found something fascinating in devices that pick sound out of the air or off a record surface.  It's fun to play with these things and make them sing.

Chris Campbell

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 08:53:49 PM »
Welcome Aboard!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

cheddarbob388

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 12:17:35 AM »
And some Pictures as promised

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 06:34:18 AM »
From one Bill to another, Welcome!

You start off with the good stuff.  Both of your consoles look pristine.  I think you should keep the Imperial as well, you can never have to many you know.  ::)

Bill

cheddarbob388

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 11:58:49 PM »
I really want to keep the Magnavox, but my house is small, and the wife wants to be able to walk in the living room. The magnavox is loud and clean, a real house shaker, love it. The Clairtone is a wonderful instrument, with a simple class A amplifier running a single 6BQ5 on each channel, it sounds great with the EMI speakers, and because it fits the living room so well, it stays.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 09:52:29 AM »
My wife has learned the fine art of stacking.  She has six big console stereos in her house.  She collects "whorehouse" lamps and sits one on each console.  We use the Concert Grand for a flat panel TV stand.  There is always room for one more.  You can stack little radios on bigger radios on top of a console stereo or a console TV.  My wife calls her decor "early yard sale."  The wife says to bring them on, just make sure they are clean, they have to work, and there can be no critters in them.  Good luck.   ;)
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

westcoastjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 09:33:29 PM »
Who is a good repair person in Sonoma County? Not for me but for a resident there with audio quality issues. Probably needs electrolytics, 1959 Webcor console.

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=331964

Is there a forum for help wanted?

cheddarbob388

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 01:03:13 AM »
I am always willing to take on a project for someone wanting to keep something alive, but Sonoma is a bit too much a drive for me, I am in Atwater amongst some of the greatest retired Air Force guys you will ever find, just north of Merced