Author Topic: WANTED: tuner glass for 290-t chassis (fisher diplomat II, 1964)  (Read 524 times)

xonkism

• View Profile
hey everybody. I am on the lookout for a replacement for the tuner glass in my 1964 diplomat II. I believe the 290-t chassis was used in a number of fisher consoles during this period, so the glass should have been the same for all these chassis'. If you run across one, please contact me. should look like the attached photo. thanks!

electra225

• View Profile
Re: WANTED: tuner glass for 290-t chassis (fisher diplomat II, 1964)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 07:24:40 PM »
Looks to me like one could be made.  Take a picture of the dial glass, make a decal, then stick the decal to a piece of cut glass.  Why would that not work?
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

xonkism

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 07:46:18 PM »
Looks to me like one could be made.  Take a picture of the dial glass, make a decal, then stick the decal to a piece of cut glass.  Why would that not work?

hmm, that probably would work. except mine is screwed up and I don't have a scan or photo of a good one to make the decal from...

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 09:00:04 PM »
You might be able to find a good scan of the dial online.  The reason I'm so informed of this possibility is that I recently did the same thing when I restored my golf cart.  I had a graphics lady find an emblem that I needed on the Club Car website, blow it up and make an emblem.  I used to do this when I was restoring cars.  On occasion I would need to make graphics on the dash (climate control mostly) when new items were not available. 

Is your dial is good enough condition that a pattern could be made off it?  Even if it is broken and has a chunk missing, a good computer operator with a graphics program should be able to fix it and make a pattern.  Good luck.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

xonkism

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 09:46:53 PM »
You might be able to find a good scan of the dial online.  The reason I'm so informed of this possibility is that I recently did the same thing when I restored my golf cart.  I had a graphics lady find an emblem that I needed on the Club Car website, blow it up and make an emblem.  I used to do this when I was restoring cars.  On occasion I would need to make graphics on the dash (climate control mostly) when new items were not available. 

Is your dial is good enough condition that a pattern could be made off it?  Even if it is broken and has a chunk missing, a good computer operator with a graphics program should be able to fix it and make a pattern.  Good luck.

unfortunately, the problem is that some of the silk-screened (?) reverse side paint has worn away and flaked off. It bugs me because its the only thing on this console that isnt 100%. but you've definitely given me a good idea, now if I can hunt down a good photo of it, I can make the template myself. I might even be able to piece it together with a couple different images... thanks!

magpie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 09:07:44 AM »
RadioDaze.com can make a perfect replacement dial glass for you. I sent them some broken shards for my CM radio and they combined that with a good close-up photograph and made me an exact replacement.