Author Topic: new acquisition ~ 1963 motorola drexel hexagon coffee table console stereo  (Read 636 times)

xonkism

• View Profile
my wife got me an early christmas present! this amazing piece of craftsmanship is in near pristine original condition, was supposedly recently serviced, and is working well. needs some elbow grease, and maybe some servicing of the controls and some cleaning and polish. anybody have any info on these, or some insight into how to get into them? I am going to dig into it tomorrow, but I am listening to it now. haven't been able to find any aux. jacks, but they may still be there. there doesn't seem to be alot out there on these... thanks! model #sd 195 ad.

TC Chris

• View Profile
I was looking at your first photo and at the console in the background and it looks like a typewriter sitting on top. 

The other day I grabbed an IBM Selectric from an office building my sister had sold.  I can remember when they were innovative and high-tech.  Now they are antique.  She also grabbed an IBM daisy-wheel version, both of them destined for the dumpster if we had left them.  Then I realized that I've got a collection of typewriters going.  The IBMs...plus a 1950s IBM electric with the standard type bars.  A 1940s manual Underwood.  A couple 1930s portables.  My own college portable Smith-Corona electric.  And the old one, an L.C. Smith big square black 1920-ish machine.  Too much stuff/not enough room.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
It may not have an auxiliary input.  That chassis was discussed here:

http://vintagehifi.net/index.php/topic,2875.0.html
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

xonkism

• View Profile
I was looking at your first photo and at the console in the background and it looks like a typewriter sitting on top. 

The other day I grabbed an IBM Selectric from an office building my sister had sold.  I can remember when they were innovative and high-tech.  Now they are antique.  She also grabbed an IBM daisy-wheel version, both of them destined for the dumpster if we had left them.  Then I realized that I've got a collection of typewriters going.  The IBMs...plus a 1950s IBM electric with the standard type bars.  A 1940s manual Underwood.  A couple 1930s portables.  My own college portable Smith-Corona electric.  And the old one, an L.C. Smith big square black 1920-ish machine.  Too much stuff/not enough room.

Chris Campbell

my wife collects typewriters. she has a bunch of em. that is a 1916 oliver in the background. very nice find, that selectric! we have been trying to find one ourselves. you would think tons of them would be around, seeing that every school in america had banks of them, but they seem to be pretty elusive... love those interchangeable type balls. my wife has never even seen one. kids, haha.

xonkism

• View Profile
It may not have an auxiliary input.  That chassis was discussed here:

http://vintagehifi.net/index.php/topic,2875.0.html

thanks, I'll check it out. doesn't seem like they're there. I'm gonna get in there for some basic servicing today. the pots are a little noisey, and I think there is a tube not properly seated after the move...