Author Topic: My squash find  (Read 393 times)

Bill

• View Profile
My squash find
« on: November 09, 2017, 07:05:24 PM »
 Fall is the time of year for squash so two Sunday's ago I went to my favorite farm for some.  I purchased my usual favorites and one that I had never tried before.  On my way home I passed the big barn antique/junk place and they were open which is not normal, so I stopped and took a looksee.  I walked the whole place not really finding anything that interested me.  I did go through their records and picked out about 20 possibilities.  Not having any money, because I spent it on squash, I set the records aside hoping they would be there the next time I went by and caught them open.  It just so happens that I really like the new squash so this past Sunday I went back for more and again on my way home I passed the same barn and they were open.  I have money this time!!  I headed for my records and out of the corner of my eye I caught sight of something.  Don't know how I missed it before but sitting there back in a dark corner was an RCA Victor model SHC-8 in Maple, sort of.  It was not a pretty sight, as a matter of fact it was really bad.  I raised the lid and sitting on top of the tuner was a large mice nest with 3 dead mice looking up at me.  I took a piece of cardboard and flipped them on the floor so I could see how much damage the nest made.  Other than dirt and some pee stains the top of the tuner looked like it could be saved.  I asked the owner how long it had been there because I did not see before and he said it had been buried for some time.  I missed it the other day because something was sitting in front of it.  He also said there was a speaker that came with it.  I moved some stuff around and sure enough there it sat.  Model SHS-4 in Maple, again sort of.  Both were just covered in filth and the cabinets not very pretty. All the guts were there in both units so that was a plus.  I asked how much and after he thought about I said yes and loaded it up along with my records.  I spent the rest of Sunday afternoon cleaning and scrubbing. I changed my soapy water 4 times before it was no longer black and then a couple of more scrubbings after that.  Now I can see what I really bought.  Again the guts were filthy but did clean up....the cabinets are really, really, bad.  Really BAD!  So that's my find and my story.  I have included pictures after clean up and it now is being stored in my barn, it's mouse free!  ;)  Oh, I ended up with 18 records.

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: My squash find
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 09:54:40 PM »
That's a great story!  Now for the work.  Looks like an opportunity for bleach.  You can buy wood bleach at the hardware store, a 2-part oxalic acid combo, or just try good ol' Clorox, which often works just fine on those black stains.  You may have to use wood stains to get the color back to the original tone. Just don't sand too vigorously and go right through the veneers. 

The original owners of my sailboat weren't great shakes at maintenance, I think.  They must have neglected the varnish on the mahogany hatches, then tried to sand away the damage.  They went right through the veneer in a few places.  (They only had the boat for 7 years).  I've maintained the boat for the last 49 years and have never damaged the veneer.  In one refinishing I resorted to some mixed paint and varnish in the first coats to hide the veneer loss. 

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 09:58:40 PM »
Another trick you might try for getting rid of the black water stain is to sand as best you can, then use black grain filler to hide the stain.  I used this rather unscientific method on the lids of my little Magnavox stereo and it worked out real well.  Best to test for the stability of the veneer before you do anything.  How stable and how thick the veneer is will determine how aggressively you can go after the water stain.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 09:37:48 AM »
Thanks guys!  Good advice from you both.  It will reside in the barn until spring then I can work on the cabinet outdoors.  The tops on both are really in bad shape.  Wood grain really raised and veneer kind of thin.  We will see just how much there is to work with.  Hopefully it can be saved.

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 09:40:35 PM »
If you decide to try the black grain filler trick, I could send you some pictures of how I did the lids on my little Magnavox stereo, if that would help.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 10:12:55 PM »
Every time I read your subject line, it makes me grin.  But you never did tell us what kind of squash you bought.

My last squash cookery was actually a gourd, I think... I toasted the seeds from my halloween jack-o-lantern. 

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 07:51:48 PM »
Thanks Greg....I'll take you up on that offer or you can show me when I see you.

Chris.....I bought the usual, butternut, acorn, etc.  but the one that made me go back I have no idea what they call it.  It's kind of shaped like an acorn but very colorful.  Really good and one of the sweetest squash I have every had.  You definitely do not need to add any brown sugar, honey, maple syrup or the like to this squash. Just bake and eat.  :)  If I find out a name I'll post it here. 

Bill