Author Topic: 1959 Fisher Console Catalog added to downloads  (Read 1026 times)

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
1959 Fisher Console Catalog added to downloads
« on: November 11, 2017, 12:29:48 PM »
I got lucky and found another hard to find Fisher Console Catalog.  It's a 1959 catalog.  I scanned it and created a PDF file and just uploaded it to Downloads >Fisher Files.  I hope ya'll enjoy it.

Paul

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: 1959 Fisher Console Catalog added to downloads
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 03:24:48 PM »
Nice!  The description of the Pres. III refers to a cast-iron turntable.  Any idea what was the make? 

Chris Campbell

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 05:49:21 PM »
Interesting to see how long they used that Sony r2r.  It's the same one in my '61...

As for the turntable--it was most likely a Garrard.  I'd guess they used the 88 unless there was something higher available in the line.

What I find most interesting is provision for FM multiplex...  but it also looks like the same 4000 series tuner as mine that has an mpx jack.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 06:47:51 PM »
The Garrard RC-88 didn't have a cast-iron turntable, and when they used Garrards,they named them.  You can barely see the device in the photo.

Chris Campbell

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 06:46:26 AM »
Fisher also wasn't very specific with what went into the consoles.  They changed things all the time.  The owners manual for mine starts off describing the 101 amp then goes into the 202 that is actually in it.  The 101 was used in the early series. 

I'd like to know what phonograph they're referring to myself.

Tubeglow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 06:33:39 PM »
Nice catalog amglow!
I have a 57 or 58 President that looks similar to the 59.
Thanks for the download.

Tubeglow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 06:36:58 PM »
I see you have a 58 catalog as well!
Thanks..

voxACthirtee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 10:18:12 PM »
I have 2 Garrard type A from different Fisher consoles.
One of them came with a VERY heavy turntable platter.
Its in a box now, but it seemed to be solid and silver, didn't look cast iron-y

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 12:06:58 AM »
Maybe one of the Empire turntables?

Chris Campbell

Tubeglow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 01:40:21 AM »
My latest President uses the Garrard 88. I've own or have owned many Fisher consoles, including 3 Presidents, and all turntables were made by Garrard.  >:(
Too bad as the only Garrard I really like is the 301, which is of course impractical for a console. I prefer the Elac or empire turntables.

Tubeglow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 02:09:18 AM »
Here's one of the type A's with the heavy platter from a Fisher console. I can't remember which model it came out of, maybe a Statesman? It's probably one of the better Garrards Fisher put in a console. I need to clean this up and get it in a box.

Tubeglow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 02:50:58 AM »
Now that I think of it, there was an Elac in one of the early 60's Presidents I traded to a person in San Diego. All others I remember as being Garrard.

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 07:38:37 AM »
Hi, all. My ears perked up when I saw the word cast-iron turntable.

There was a turntable advertised in the 1955 or 1956 "Terminal" hifi guide by "Professional Components Corp"  as containing a "25 lb cast iron turntable" with a nearly 1/4 inch thick cork mat "to minimize attraction to magnetic cartridges"  Belt drive fabric, not neoprene,  belt, 4 pole motor on spring tensioner. expanding center spindle to center worn-center hole records. One of these heavyweights was in a homemade console in my house when I bought it. The turntable sides were a dull gold color and there was no aluminum covering platter like in other cast-iron turntables I've seen.  I don't have either the hifi guide or the turntable anymore and am going by my not-always-accurate memory.
    I had 2 "Electra" consoles with RC-121s but  totally different chassis layouts although pretty much the same tubes. It looked like the redesigned layout was trying to move the heat producing components (power output and rectifier tubes)  closer to the vent slots in the cabinet. The filter caps were relocated too.
                     ed from Baltimore
           Ed

Tubeglow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 01:21:36 PM »
That turntable sounds very interesting Ed. I'd like to see one  :)

Yes, I as well have found mods in components when it comes to putting them in a console vs. a stand alone unit.

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 10:00:31 PM »
Well, I actually was so surprised at the completely different chassis layout in what looked the same from the knobs and front panel that I took both chassis out of the cabinest and placed them side by side. They were both original Fisher---no one had cut or drilled after market--but something had to be a real problem with the original chassis layout---maybe the large electrolytics had an extremely short life in the original positions.Also one of the wooden cabinets had factory cut vent slots in the back, the other one similar slots in the side.
     Not to start a war, but Magnavox would have placed such a powerful heat-producing amplifier  on the cabinet "floorpan" and only the tuner-preamp would be in the poorly ventilated space. The Fisher had a sealed back speaker system and I guess they had to used what space was available.
     As to that turntable, that 1955-56 hi-fi catalog had a lot of innovative and short-lived products that must have been one-hit-wonders and the company never is mentioned in later literature, at least not in that product line.
   The turntable was sold stand-alone....no tone arm, just a thick wood baseplate with a thick steel spring at each corner that looked like an engine valve spring.
     With a 25 lb turntable, I wonder what their tone arm would have weighed, had they designed one.