Author Topic: Ceramic cartridges  (Read 329 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Ceramic cartridges
« on: November 19, 2017, 10:23:58 PM »
I've always wondered why some console manufacturers chose ceramic cartridges for their turntables.  Magnavox was devoted to them, and the new post about a Mathes console shows a V-M changer with, we may assume, a ceramic cartridge.  It's not that V-M didn't make changers with magnetic cartridges; I've got a V-M separate that has a plug-in headshell and GE VR-II cartgridge.  It can't be the need to have two stylii so people could play 78s; the VR-II had microgroove and 78 stylii.  Of course, it was mono; I can't remember if anybody made stereo two-tip magnetic devices.  Few people were interetsed in 78s by the stereo age anyway, and those who were could just buy another stylus to plug in.

And it's not necessarily tube and component count increasing because of a preamp.   Magnavox sprinkled 6V6s around like they were free. 

So what was their thinking?

Chris Campbell

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Ceramic cartridges
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 11:38:04 AM »
Most of the ceramic carts I see were used on equipment like consoles, rather than components. I would hazard a guess that the additional 100X of amplification needed for getting sound from a 3 millivolt output (versus a 300 mV ceramic, or even 3v crystal on low-priced portables) created more problems for reducing hum.

A compromise that higher tracking force of ceramic (2-6 grams) maybe also increased options for cheaper stylus materials.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave