Author Topic: Unknown Model  (Read 519 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Unknown Model
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 06:16:13 PM »
For cleaning the background fuzz, I use a shortened-bristle 1" paint brush that has a misting of Favor on it.  NOT PLEDGE!.  The MISTING of Favor will take the lint, while the brush will straighten out the fuzz so it does not look rough when edge-lit.  Use caution by testing on a corner first to ascertain how stable the fuzz is.  Conditions with lots of cigarette smoke (nicotine) and with kitchen debris (grease and the like), and storage in high-moisture environments may de-stabilize the fuzz and make it more susceptible to lifting.  The glass markings on the dial are typically very durable.  I like using a rag spritzed with Windex on the front (top) side.  The markings are on the back (bottom) side.  Test on a corner again for steadfastness.  Go easy cleaning the back side with the markings in any case.  I like to do a good dusting on the back, barely touching the surface, then quit while I'm ahead!  I do not use anything even damp on the back side with the markings.  I have never damaged one, but I would hate for the first one damaged to be yours. Typically, more of the dirt is on the top, anyways.  I like to replace the dial light bulbs while I am in there, even if they are still working.  I have seen those little buggers not work after I go to all the trouble of replacing the tuner into the cabinet.  My fingers are not nimble enough anymore to replace the bulbs with the tuner still in the cabinet, although it should be technically possible. 

I don't know what the material used on the dial that I call "fuzz" is officially called.  It is not as nappy as the flocking on a record player platter, but more nappy than being smooth.  I call it fuzz.  By a "misting" of Favor, I mean that you spritz the tip of the paint brush bristles with Favor then feel the bristles to make sure they are not actually wet.  Kind of a dry sweep, in one direction, usually does the trick.  That should get the dust and lint.  I do one end, move the dial pointer to that end, then work toward the opposite end.  Good luck.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 01:12:07 PM »
I finished cleaning the amplifier chassis last evening.  The bad built up areas were the dirt that was deposited on it saturated with wax from the output transformers.  I got it off with my trusty lighter fluid.  After finishing the caps, I started on the receiver.  I removed the dial glass and removed the ossified tape and cork pads and washed it with a artists paintbrush with a little dishwashing liquid.  I cleaned the field behind the glass with a trim paintbrush.  The meter is a bit filmy, but Ican't get into it.  I surrounded the glass' ends with electrical tape and shrunk a bit of tubing around the hold down tabs to sub for the stiffened cork.  I was set to re cap it when I found my electrolytic 33uF's were 160v.  Now to order more caps.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 04:12:43 PM »
A suggestion for cleaning the meter is using a small artist's brush with cleaner on it.  Sounds like you are making good progress and that your new stereo should be singing shortly.  I know you are not a country music fan, but Patsy Cline music was recorded specifically for reproduction on a Magnavox stereo.   Connie Francis and Bobby Vinton work as well. ;)

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 04:53:09 PM »
You have the first recording I want to listen to, Mentor in hi-fi. And I'm looking forward to it.
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 05:19:55 PM »
That is a good one as well.  I was listening to Patsy Cline on my Imperial when I posted that comment.  I guess I was in the mood for Patsy Cline.  The frau was out shopping so I could run the Imperial as loud as I wanted without comment from the peanut gallery.  I took full advantage of that privilege, I can assure you.

Music of most any genre from the late 1950's to early 1960's is amazing in many ways.  The talent to write, produce and perform material like that simply does not exist today.  The way it was recorded is amazing and has been discussed here several times.  They did not edit all the good stuff out and add junk like they do today. 

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 10:05:06 PM »
You have the first recording I want to listen to, Kenton In Hi-Fi. And I'm looking forward to it.
Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 10:32:18 PM »
When I was a kid the grade school I attended had an annual spring fair fundraiser in the gym.  One year they had a big refrigerator box dressed up as a vending machine.  You put a nickel or some other big amount in a slot and out came a 45.  They were all cut-outs from the local radio station, promo copies.  I bought several.  Three of them were Patsy Cline singles.  Who?  I took them home and played them.  My ears were tuned to early rock, not country, for goodness' sake, but Patsy's singing caught my ear anyway--this was good stuff.  But how could I like it if it was country music?  That was an early lesson in disregarding labels. As Duke Ellington said, if it sounds good, it is good.

Chris Campbell

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 05:25:58 PM »
The crossover caps for it arrived from China yesterday.  The solder lug terminal strips will arrive tomorrow to set up the filter caps on.
Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 05:33:40 PM »
There were 2 popped caps in the demultiplexer module.   It was only held in place inverted with a wood screw.  This explains the lack of the module in the as-built drawing.  It will be re installed as though it belongs there.  These cabinets can obscure a multitude of sins.
Arthur C. Clarke

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.