Author Topic: Need more info. Hoffman console.  (Read 768 times)

kayjwill

• View Profile
Need more info. Hoffman console.
« on: December 03, 2017, 06:40:44 PM »
Sorry in advance I'm new to this site, & don't know basically anything about consoles.

I bought this Hoffman brand Hi-Fi console at a Goodwill for $12.99 the other day. It seems to be working, besides the needle arm won't move on 'Auto' & it needs a new needle. It also starts to smell like it is getting hot when I turn it on I don't know if that the dust, or the bulb getting too hot? The wires on the back also seem to be a bit worn.

I've looked up the brand, found a site that lists all of their models they've ever made, but I can't seem to pinpoint this exact one. I've found a similar console, (outside & inside) but it had a radio on the inside, and mine doesn't. I have read a lot about the company/owners/history, so I'm really just looking for more information about my Model, or if anyone knows specifics about what it is, and how much it would be worth, please let me know :)

Thank you,
KJ
~KJ

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Need more info. Hoffman console.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 08:36:11 PM »
I have never heard of this brand.  Looks interesting.  I'm sure  someone here in the forum will be able to help.

Bill

AstroSonic100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 02:11:24 PM »
Hoffman was a Los Angeles company.  They started producing high quality radios and phonographs after WWII and then added TV and stereos to their line up in the 1950s up to the mid 60s when they dropped consumer production in favor of producing equipment for the military.  From what I have read they are still in the electronic business today.

The record changer is a Garrard RC121 which is a very good changer.  I own one myself and it is very gentle on records and does not wear them out.  The changer will need to be serviced.  The old lubricant has by now hardened.  It will need to be removed and replaced with fresh lubricant. 

As for the amplifier.  It is a very good design.  This set dates from around 1956/1957 and any electronic equipment of that vintage needs to have it's electrolytic and other capacitors replaced.  The burning smell you mentioned could also be a resistor overheating. If the owner of the set was a smoker, the burning smell could be the nicotine getting hot from the tubes.  I had this problem on a set I own until the tubes were cleaned. 

I would recommend stop using it until after it is recapped.  Bad capacitors can short and ruin power transformers which are expensive to replace.

The speaker system is Hoffman's floating sound design.  It is a sealed speaker enclosure and they sound very good.

One thing in your favor is there is a schematic and tube placement chart that is glued inside the back of the set.  From what I can tell your set is a Model B800 with an amplifier chassisl 1107.  The service folder is Sams Photofact Servicer 580.

Hoffman consoles don't appear that often.  Seems most of the sales were on the West Coast.  Once restored it should be an excellent sounding set.

Ray

kayjwill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 04:58:33 PM »
Thank you so much @AstroSonic100 that helps out tremendously! I will see if I can find some place to get it restored/fixed up. I'm very excited to start using it!  :)
~KJ

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 07:40:38 PM »
The photos suggest that this console was a step or two among the run-of-the-mill.  It's got a good record changer, a speaker system that didn't just pop a few drivers into the cabinet, and maybe (can't tell) a more ambitious amplifier.  The previous comment is right--tube equipment of this age requires some parts replacement--at a minimum, the filter capacitors, because when they fail, they can cause failure of expensive things like the power transformer.  Coupling capacitors can matter too, although they;ll usually just burn up tubes, a less expensive disaster.  The cheapest route might be to find a local electronic hobbyist who has some experience with tube equipment.  Repair shops are few  and far between these days, and (a) the good ones are busy; (b) the bad ones will do crummy work.

Chris Campbell

kayjwill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 07:47:25 PM »
Thank you as well, Chris  :) I figured I'll have to find someone who specifically works with these types of things. I don't want someone to do a crappy job on it, especially if I plan on using it a lot.
~KJ

HiFiFun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 12:03:34 PM »
That is a great score for $12.99.
It will be well worth a good restoration.
HFF

cheddarbob388

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 10:16:17 PM »
Are you on the west coast? There are people and places that will fix these up, I know there isn't much in my area, but I do it myself, and the antique shops in the area have my number.. If we know where you are, we might be able to find you some help in getting that beauty back into its glory days

kayjwill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 11:14:23 PM »
Nah, I'm in Indiana. But if anyone knows people, please refer. I'm interested in getting it back into proper working conditions!
~KJ