Author Topic: preferred filter cap brand?  (Read 1174 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
preferred filter cap brand?
« on: December 07, 2017, 11:14:10 PM »
Do you have a preferred brand of electrolytics for filter caps?  I'm getting ready to order a bunch for winter old radio repairs, and usually just settle for whatever I can find online at Mouser or Digi-Key.  Seems to me that the higher-temp option (105 deg. Celsius?) is probably better but I haven't even been faithful about that.

Chris Campbell

childof60

• View Profile
Re: preferred filter cap brand?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 07:53:41 PM »
Nichicon or Panasonic is what I prefer for SS systems.  I do not have enough experience to have a preference with higher voltage stuff required for tube systems.  While Nichicon tends to be pricey they seem to be of better quality than no-name caps I have purchased off ebay and Mouser.  IMO some people go totally crazy on this topic and claim they can truly hear a difference in brands.  In my case my hearing is not good enough to detect any difference.  I guess for tube gear the temperature rating is far more important than for SS gear.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 09:56:17 PM »
Somebody on ARF responded to my same inquiry by pointing to the vendors who advertise off on the side of that site.  I notice that "JustRadios" offer filter caps kits--a selection of values--which seems really attractive because it's easier than doing an order via Mouser, which I always find hard to do.  And I'd have a bunch on hand so I could work on whichever radio struck my fancy, without having to order and wait. But they are neither Nichicon nor Panasonic, which most seem to favor.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 07:43:47 PM »
I do not understand why people insist on buying capacitors by brand.  I use whatever is cheapest.  Sal Brasindi has kits as well.  He is on ARF, one of the vendors listed at the side.  I would not pay a cent extra for a name.  New capacitors are like new motor oil.  Even the cheapest you can get today is better than what the equipment had when it was new.  You should do what you feel most comfortable with.  JustRadios is okay.  The exception I make is that I like using the Nichicon PZ series from Mouser for restuffing can caps on Magnavox stereos.  Not because of the brand, but for the small size.  Mouser's website is almost impossible to navigate.  Why they don't fix it is beyond me.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 06:24:29 PM »
The product Sal carries seems to be holding up well also and that counts as well as any name as far as I'm concerned.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 02:51:07 PM »
Hi Chris,

Just wondered if you ordered any Cap's yet? And if so where?  And did you buy the kit or just order individual Cap's?  I need to get some as well.

Thanks Chris,
Bill

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 04:36:32 PM »
Sal's has a nice selection in different configurations and S/S or tube friendly voltage ratings.
Arthur C. Clarke

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 06:07:36 PM »
Thanks Rex....Greg has given me the same advice.  Sal's it is.

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 11:31:22 PM »
I haven't ordered any yet.   I had enough in my parts stash to get the Sparton up and running, and will place an order for one of the multi-cap kits when I get back after the holidays.  I've got a big batch of old radios etc. and they all need electrolytics.

Chris Campbell

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 08:08:21 AM »
I try to start out with the assortments and put them in the compartmented plastic boxes they sell at harbor frieght.  I mark each value on each compartment, then I know quickly what I have and what I need.  I've done the same with my resistor assortments.
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 04:49:28 PM »
I usually toss everything, caps, resistors, whatever, into a box then cuss when I can't find what I need.  Neatness is not one of my strong suites. 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 05:44:33 PM »
Thanks Rex....I guess I'm off to Harbor Freight. 

Bill

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 07:01:29 PM »
Knowing what I have saves me money in not having to buy something I have but cannot find..
Arthur C. Clarke

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 09:03:29 PM »
Better quality capacitors from a name brand manufacturer are going to last and work better then no name capacitors from god knows where. It's also important to keep in mind what temperature they are rated for, and their life span. Getting 105C 10,000 hour caps are the way to go, and they'll last for a very long time. I'd rather spend the extra 15 cents per part than worry some cheap component will fail, especially for customer projects.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 11:26:29 PM »
I ended up buying Nichicons from Mouser.  There's a careful dance to get a shape and lead style (radial vs axial) to meet specific needs.  If they are going under-chassis that may not matter so much.

Chris Campbell