Author Topic: Hello from Chicago. Just picked up my first console and it's a whopper!  (Read 798 times)

tombig58

• View Profile
Hi there. I'm Tom and in recent months I've been aquiring component stereo pieces from local sites to reaquaint myself to an old passion, which is MUSIC! Not really looking for a console I stumbled across this armoire style model in the furniture section of CL. "The Magnificent Magnavox Imperial Romana" circa 1972. It's been in the same living room since new so the cabinetry is fantastic. I have the original sales receipt, brochures, service manuals, and the remote. The components haven't been used in forever and certainly need servicing. It is too huge for me to keep but I felt I needed to rescue it. In fact the owner said Salvation Army wouldn't even take it. Is there a market for this kind of piece. There's not much info out there on the web. Thanks in advance for your input.

cheddarbob388

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Chicago. Just picked up my first console and it's a whopper!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 12:59:55 AM »
Amazing find, That is one I could almost talk the wife into keeping, could find a great spot for it in the living room, love the how its multi purpose, like the coffee table and end table models of the the decade before.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 07:00:25 PM »
That one looks like fun.  Any idea who made the tape deck?

Chris Campbell

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 09:02:34 PM »
Welcome Aboard!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 07:41:24 AM »
I think you should keep it!  :D

Bill

tombig58

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 04:08:24 PM »
I would love to keep it but I live in a two BR apartment and absolutely have no room for it. I would love to find a museum or collector or anyone who can appreciate it for what it is (was) and will not destroy it. It was top of the line at the time and Magnavox advertised "If you have to ask how much?, it's not for you". So if anyone here is interested in it contact me.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 09:52:00 PM »
You  have to work hard at giving things away these days. I've got a '65 Olds, a fairly rare model, and decided to offer it as a donation to the R.E. Olds Museum in Lansing, where the car was built.  Nope, not interested.  And if you look over on ARF, Ive been posting my "Free TV" ad for a long time, offering a tube-chassis RCA New Vista.  No luck.  I tell you, this giving-away practice can be difficult. If it's a freebie, I'll bet somebody here will decide they've got space, but you should probably offer it in the "Sale or Trade" section.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 09:52:39 PM »
You  have to work hard at giving things away these days. I've got a '65 Olds, a fairly rare model, and decided to offer it as a donation to the R.E. Olds Museum in Lansing, where the car was built.  Nope, not interested.  And if you look over on ARF, Ive been posting my "Free TV" ad for a long time, offering a tube-chassis RCA New Vista.  No luck.  I tell you, this giving-away practice can be difficult. If it's a freebie, I'll bet somebody here will decide they've got space, but you should probably offer it in the "Sale or Trade" section.

Oops, forgot to sign my post. 
Chris Campbell

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 04:35:08 AM »
Believe it or not, there's truth to what Chris said.  My aunt and uncle had a small florist business.  She had an artificial arrangement in the window that wouldn't sell.  My uncle raised the price on it and it was sold in two days...

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 02:49:13 PM »
Earlier tape decks found in Magnavox stereos were Magnavox branded.  I don't see any brand on this one.

I will toss this out for someone to jump on, just because...... I wonder if Phillips had something to do with the manufacture of tape decks for Magnavox by the time this instrument was built.  It was 1974 that Phillips bought Magnavox for its video gaming system, off all things.  Phillips allowed the rest of Magnavox to die a cruel death by neglect. 

Both Magnavox and Phliips are now proud brands marketed by the Funai Corporation in China.

If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 05:57:33 PM »
I've got a '65 Olds, a fairly rare model,

You should know that you can't make such a statement without elaborating!

-Tim

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 10:18:38 PM »
I've got a '65 Olds, a fairly rare model,

You should know that you can't make such a statement without elaborating!

-Tim

Starfire coupe, biggest engine they made, big bucket seats with leather trim, the new Turbo-Hydramatic including the switch-pitch feature.  I've even got the window sticker.  And, to let you know how the world has changed, no air conditioning, crank windows, and AM radio.  How did we survive back then?

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 10:37:08 AM »
Crank windows and no air conditioning was fairly rare in a Starfire, especially by 1965.  Most of those babies came loaded to the gills.  My grandpa's brother had a new Lansing-built '63 that was the most loaded Olds I ever saw.  Starfire had the most colorful interior GM ever put in a car, even more colorful than the Grand Prix.  The Buick equivalent to the Starfire was the Wildcat.  The interior of a Wildcat looked like a taxi cab compared to the Starfire.  Olds had the neatest steering wheels and gear shift levers ever installed in a car.  Some had sparkly mylar clear inserts in the steering wheels.  '65 was the first year for the hotrod 425.  Olds borrowed the switch-pitch Turbo 400 from Buick.  Cadillac got it, too.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 06:52:29 PM »
 I was thinking to be a rare '65, it must be a Starfire. I don't want to keep us off topic, but I'd sure like to see some pics. Can you post some in chat?

-Tim

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 06:54:17 PM »
My first exposure to a Starfire was my buddy's grandfather's '61 convertible.  It had the old 394 and probably the Slim-Jim Hydramatic and a glorious interior--slightly bluish-red leather and lots of chrome. It was an astonishing vehicle.

Chris Campbell