Author Topic: Hi from a recovering component snob! lol  (Read 3640 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Hi from a recovering component snob! lol
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 11:46:20 PM »
The speed knob?  Maybe to have two points of reference, or maybe so it didn't matter how it was assembled on the assembly line?  Note that it's a two-size intermix changer-there's a little 7 and 10 lever and a feeler for 10 and 12 as they dropped.  It has a four-pole motor.  Maybe I'll look fr more identifying numbers underneath the next time I'm where it lives.

Chris Campbell

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 12:24:41 PM »
Ummm... to get back to my original thread:

Ed I didn't know Jeff Waters on Chestnut Ave, my street, Piccadilly Rd ended up at Chestnut, so if he was near Charles St (after about '62 what we called the "new" Charles St, the old one coming S from Joppa became Charles St Ave and dead ended at the new one) he must have been almost across from Loyola HS, my old sledding hill! I had a friend right off Seminary, Bob Williams, he went to Dulaney and I went to Towson ... so did John Waters, 2 years ahead of me.

btw I hear they may tear them both down to build a new combined HS!!

Yes we were on Hampton Lane waaay back, but almost as soon as Dad finished building the house on a lot that he bought directly from, and across from, the Ridgleys (Hampton House) he got an offer he couldn't refuse from Sylvia Porter, the food and home-ec lady, I think she was on WMAR or was it WJZ or WBAL? You might be old enough to remember her on TV. Anyhow he then built another one in Chestnut Hills, and we were there until Beth Steel transferred him to NC a month before I left for college in Westminster. We stayed there for the next 30 years, now in central NY. I do miss MD sometimes but would never move back, it's much quieter and way less traffic  here!

I'm also a fan of the mono consoles, I'm hoping to pick up a '56 RCA this weekend!

My current project is an early "roundie" Zenith color TV... and we think old tube consoles are a bear to restore??  This one is a whole new ballgame for me !!

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 08:44:52 PM »
A color TV fan?  I've been advertising a FREE, repeat, FREE RCA late tube-chassis console over on ARF for a couple years.  RCA "New VIsta" (Nuvistors in the front end), Model CL 670 F, chassis 14crc38XT, with a 25XP22 CRT.  I have photos.  Repeat:  FREE, and in pretty god condition.

Chris Campbell

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 10:09:57 PM »
Just now noticed that one page went to two and I missed some replies. How do I reply to firedome and tc chris separately or should I just answer both in this one reply ?
    firedome---  didnt know a Bobby Williams except class of 74 at Calvert Hall, swimmer,  but if he was class of 68 that would have been 4 years older than me and living on Seminary between Dulaney Valley Rd and Providence Rd was like living in adjacent villages as far as getting to know the neighbours.
     All through high school I used  to work on friends TVs and of all the brands Zenith was far and away the favourite. They had the convergence panel behind the tilt-out speaker, the "good" tube sockets that never went intermittent, and the clever tie points that the component leads pushed through and didn't need to be twisted around, plus no circuit boards with tracks that lifted. Really a cut above the rest. Plus the tuner always separated from the cabinet with one screw, slid out and had an electric connector that unplugged and all the contacts were on a revolving turret that
was easy to clean. 

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 10:56:29 PM »
You can hit "quote" in the upper right, then edit the portions you want to include, then answer below that.

Chris Campbell

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 11:32:55 PM »
Chris--just lost my paragraph to you cuz it decided my log in was ended so when I hit "post" it told I could't post without being logged in, then it deleted my answer to you.  nothing earth-shaking, just commented on the intermix lever, the four pole motors so rare in consoles, and the CR-216 chassis. also that the Windsor in aa's photo seems to have 2 6L6s and 2 6V6s intermixed.    Ed
   I'm sending this before it disappears on me.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 11:16:45 AM »
Ed:  yes the consensus of the vintage color tv guys seems to be that the hand-wired Zeniths are way less troublesome than RCAs with pcbs. I guess the earlier RCAs may have been more hand wired as well, certain chassis seem to be better liked. I figured with my overall lack of TV knowledge it was best to hedge my bets and go with one with better odds! One good thing about all of them is that 95% of the tubes needed are really cheap!! In my strictly audio days I probably threw out thousands of TV types when winnowing old TV/radio shop inventories... cringe!!

I remember when Towson Plaza was a 1 row strip mall, and the land across the street was a big vacant lot where our church set up a big tent and had a rummage sale every year.  It's all so crowded now! I used to ride my bike to TP to go to the SS Kresge to buy car promos and models, look the puppies at the Pet Shop, and go into Stereoland to look at the used amps and audition speakers, the salesman was pretty patient with a curious kid! The beginning of my love for tube audio! 

TC: you'd probably have better luck finding a home for that RCA on VideoKarma, that's where many early tv nuts congregate it seems, someone there would probably take it off your hands.

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2018, 02:12:27 AM »
I think the older color TVs are more "restorable" than the later ones with the special purpose hotrod tubes. There are articles in tv servicing trade magazines about the poor reliability and lifespan of newer tubes with extremely high transconductance with the same cathode area  because the grids were extremely close to the cathode with fine meshed grids and they had contamination problems with tiny flakes of oxide coating and cathode stripping during filament warmup when full plate voltage was applied during initial powering up. The later quick warmup sets that kept the filaments half lit when the set was off were supposed to help tube life.
    In the early 70s I tuned up a high school friends parents 1955 vintage RCA color console. It was on its second or third picture tube as the newer ones got brighter. The parents told me that when they first bought the set, they were one of two or  three color set installations in the Baltimore area. If a color broadcast was scheduled for the evening, the station engineer would telephone the few color households and ask if they were going to watch the broadcast and if none were, the engineer didn't bother turning on and tuning up their color subcarrier generators. I think that old set had 2 5U4s next to a big square power transformer.  Don't remember any printed circuit boards. Ed
   I hope this posts. I've lost two replies already.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 07:00:38 AM »
Wow Ed, as they say in NY, you really know from TVs, whereas  I feel completely out of my element, were you an EE or something related to electronics?

The first color TV I ever saw was around 1960, a friend's grandparents who loved at Charles St and Bellona Ave had one, we were visiting and when I saw it it was just amazing! My parents were kinda cheap and they never had one until after I left for college and they'd moved on to NC, I think they finally got one in '70 or '71 So I picked up this early Zenith on the theory it's never too late to have a happy childhood!  It will be a challenge for sure, it has a good crt but needs work before it has a good picture. I suppose I'll probably end up contracting it out, not having the tools and knowledge required to do a proper job.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 03:57:40 PM »
Welcome to the site Firedome,

I think I have seen your TV before as I'm cross-addicted to them as well as appliances, electrical equipment, cars and old radios. I have the EA-maple cabinet from a Zenith roundie that can easily fit that into. 

No doubt a sweet-sounding Zenith tube HiFi exists that will fit your furniture. I am currently restoring a 1964 Zenith all-tube console in contemporary walnut (my preference) and another forum member sold me the matching walnut radial speakers:) I will post pictures in Zenith forum - I just finished the amp this morning and its the 4th tube Zenith I've done.

I have a 1963 Zenith MK2602 with stereo FM, similarly equipped even in a compact cabinet but the wood looks darker than your Zenith TV. Its not a TOTL model and it needs cabinet TLC but it is well-equipped like most Zeniths are.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 07:52:55 PM »
OK, as long as I've got some tube TV guys watching I'm going to post a photo of the RCA that's FREE, FREE for the taking, even if it is the wrong brand.  Over on ARF somebody suggested that the "burning small" that led my parents to unplug it the last time they used it was probably the auto-degaussing circuit frying, apparently a common issue with this device.  It was still giving audio and video but the smell deterred them....  There;s a 1938 Buick behind the TV.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 08:00:40 PM »
I knew I had a better photo (lots of detail photos if anybody is interested).  Remember the magic word, FREE!

Chris Campbell

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2018, 09:16:37 PM »
posting this test reply first to make sure I am really logged in, otherwise I lose all the hunt and peck typing. if this works will go for the long reply 
Were the 1960 color set owners the grandparents of the  Williams you knew near Seminary  ?    I knew an elderly man named  T. Bayard Williams on Charles St Ave

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2018, 10:54:26 PM »
      Well came close but never got the EE degree. Everything was just going solid state, digital and computers when I was trying for it and I was into analog, and vacuum tubes and stuff like that  was tossed out by the truckload right in my eager  clutches, including the literature.
      That was 50 years ago and no matter how much I threw out, or gave away, some older electronic pal's widow would always call me and say take it all before the dumpster arrives.  Bought a collection of Photofacts 10 thru 400 at a hamfest which is an education in itself. When you see the cabinet picture, the above and below view of a chassis, the schematic, parts list and alignment instructions, all in one folder, you really  get the heart and soul of, say a Magnavox console, or a Scott hifi component.  I'm sure most of the people on this forum are always being offered old electronic equipment, parts, and literature from a shoebox to a basement full. Growing up in a house that has a garage entering direct to the basement not visible from the kitchen or den is a big help.
     TC, regarding the burning odor, the rear chassis view of that RCA shows a charred wire at the plate cap of the 6JE6 tube so it must really get hot. There's a powdered iron slug on the far right of the rear adjustment pots and I think the wire going to the ground lug is the place to insert a milliammeter  and adjust that slug for minimum current, something like 190 ma. .(horiz.  lin.) is the label on the adjustment, horizontal linearity,

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 11:31:42 AM »
Thank you for those pictures Chris. I know there some MI members on videokarma who would take that CTC38 right off your hands. As a 1968 model, last of the branded RCA Victor, its highly collectible due mainly to its controls style, a hybrid of 1966-67 designs.

A few more RCA tube chassis variations made it into the early 1970's CTC39, CTC44-48 , but unlike Zenith making their superb Chromacolor line of hybrids(tube-transistor) , RCA went SS early in their product lines, Accu-color, Argosy then XL-100.

if I lived up near you, I would certainly make the trip to talk cars and haul that home. My 4 RCA color set's are 1962-63 models, two of each but a bit more of a challenge than the later 1960s, which had increasing HV transformer burnouts for a variety of reasons:(. It was the 1954-1957 models of RCA color sets that require even more special care to restore.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave