Author Topic: Hi from a recovering component snob! lol  (Read 513 times)

• View Profile
Re: Hi from a recovering component snob! lol
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 01:25:37 PM »
I'm 2000 miles away or Dave and I might be fighting over your TV.  I hope you find it a good home.  Beautiful TV for sure.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 08:18:32 PM »
Thank you for those pictures Chris. I know there some MI members on videokarma who would take that CTC38 right off your hands. As a 1968 model, last of the branded RCA Victor, its highly collectible due mainly to its controls style, a hybrid of 1966-67 designs.

A few more RCA tube chassis variations made it into the early 1970's CTC39, CTC44-48 , but unlike Zenith making their superb Chromacolor line of hybrids(tube-transistor) , RCA went SS early in their product lines, Accu-color, Argosy then XL-100.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'll try VK--thought I had done so once before but maybe I balked at signing up for one more site.  My theory is that anything interesting has to find a home.  I donated my parents' first automatic washer, a 1951 Frigidaire, to the Henry Ford Museum (gee, it had machined gears and a pressure lube system) and a 1956 dishwasher to a local historical museum.  When I moved across Michigan 24 years ago, I found homes for all the electronic stuff I couldn't move, except for one cool Zenith B&W TV console.  It was heart-breaking to toss it on the trash hauler's truck the last day before closing.  I vowed never to do that again.

Chris Campbell

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2018, 11:03:16 AM »
MM-Dave: wife Sue has posted some stuff on VK, it was kind of her idea to get it, she also grew up without a color TV. She wants an Early American cabinet for it to match furniture.

I'm an audio guy so tube TV seems scary. I picked up SAMS for it - 28 pages - Jeezum!!

Ed: no, their name was Roedel, but the name T. Bayard Williams rings a bell for some reason.  The Roedels had a brand new pea-green '60 Electra, and I recall being impressed by the mirror-reflecting speedometer in it,but then saw my very first colorTV and was even more impressed!!

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2018, 02:45:54 AM »
Firedome---sorry just now saw this new post.
      T. Bayard Williams and his brother, Jack Williams were both Towson lawyers who were responsible for Boys Latin School moving to an old mansion on Lake Avenue in 1961 instead of closing down. Their father was a judge but I don't know what district, Jack Williams was the "headmaster" and T Bayard one of the regeants of B.L.  or is it provosts ?. He lived on Charles St Avenue, probably his entire adult life. I met him by accident as we both hung out Sunday mornings at Kenilworth Mall, he was then 90 years old and somehow we discovered our common connections--his family grew up across the street from my mothers family in Dundalk, next to Camp Holabird, and I went to Boys Latin 1st through 3rd grades. He said he went by T Bayard even in the army so as not to get confused with the thousands of Thomas B Williams. I'm sure he had boys your age.
           Another coincidence--my dad's first Buick was a blue 4-door Invicta and I was riding in it when he smacked into the side of a lady who was running a stop sign down the hill from Brooks Buick (next to Immaculate Conception Church) where he had just taken delivery. The Invicta's bumper was so mildly scratched that my dad swore me to secrecy i.e. dont say a word to your mother about this. I remember the adjustable mirror speedometer, the clock "pod" the speed warning buzzer, the oval geren "cold" warning lamp and the "rear"  heat lever as unique to the '60 Buicks.  My mother had 2 Pontiacs after my dad died, a '65 and '69, then bought a '74 2 door Electra during the gas crisis instead of a third Pontiac. Our driveway on Seminary Ave was so sloped that she couldn't push the heavy door open when pulling in nor pull it shut when pulling out.  She also had an '89 LeSabre and I now have her '97 LeSabre and its going strong.
       There was a '57 DeSoto parked on Kenilworth Drive until 2 years ago. white with red top, and it had the "pinched" oval bumper exhaust pipes and the 4 beam look for the headlights. I loved all the finmobiles as a child but by the time I started noticing cars they were all on their third owners, neglected, dull paint, noisy exhausts, lurching on bad shocks, rusted all over, and running on 7 cylinders or less. I love seeing them restored at car shows in all their shiny glory. with engines purring. The Chrysler comparison ads on you tube are fascinating, as is the '60 Buicks in the 100+ MPH 10,000 mile endurance run- I'm sure you've seen them.