Author Topic: Want: better quality tube console in Early American style  (Read 514 times)

firedome

• View Profile
Want: better quality tube console in Early American style
« on: December 13, 2017, 04:15:04 PM »
Looking for an Early American style - similar to one in below link - tube stereo console, cabinet needs to be in nice condition,  prefer one of the "better" ie:  mid or top-end models from any of the well known or lesser known US console makers. Location NY or nearby. Leads appreciated.  Please eMail Direct to:   firesweep "at" verizon "dot" net 

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/fud/d/maple-wood-amc-stereophonic/6404743557.html

thanks,
Roger in NY

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Want: better quality tube console in Early American style
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 11:21:21 AM »
Roger, you would not have anything to do with DeSoto would you?  Firedome was nomenclature for DeSoto V-8 engines. 

My guess is that you would be hard-pressed to find a stereo with cabinet styling like you linked in a tube instrument.  That style is 1970's-period.  The specific stereo you linked is a low-line department store type instrument that the bigger manufactures may not have produced.  GE made a line of stereos with similar styling that was tube and was plagued with a printed circuit chassis. This particular Zenith line is becoming more popular and will increase in value.  The price on this example is astronomically ridiculous, so it is being posted for reference only.  RCA made an instrument very similar without the louvers.  This Zenith model will be collectible and expensive in the future regardless of the fact it is solid state. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mid-Century-Zenith-Stereo-Console/152824839526?hash=item239511fd66:g:ySYAAOSwB4BZ~-Ji

Here is a GE in New York:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/ele/d/vintage-ge-console-am-fm/6422534169.html

If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 07:11:03 PM »
Actually the early American craze started in the late 50s and early 60s. Lucy redecorated the house in Connecticut in early American in the last year's of "I love lucy".

Fisher offered one early American model in 1961 in the Coronet series.  Everything else was danish modern or provincial.

It took a good 10 to 15 years for early American to really become popular.  In between was Mediterranean, Italian, moorish, and Spanish influenced furniture. 

I was at goodwill the other day and saw one of those gawd awful swag lamps with the cherub in the plastic plant garden and the oil that ran down the clear fishing lines that imitated rain....  the tag should have said: "well pay YOU $2 to take it."

What a decade...

AstroSonic100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 06:34:56 PM »
My parents purchased a 1964 Magnavox Astrosonic 30 in early American.  Attached picture is the only one I have of our Magnavox and dates from Christmas 1966.

Ray

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 03:07:22 PM »
The mid-line 1961 Fisher Coronet might be a good choice:

-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 06:02:12 PM »
Here's a real nice Early American console from GE.  This is a solid state system however.  I've always liked this cabinet.  From 1967.

Vintage GE console AM FM Phono Tape Stereo - $80 (E. Northport)

"Beautiful cabinet with fake front doors and drawers.
 52 x 19 x 32h
 Everything works
 Record changer has 16, 33, 45, 78 speeds and flipping LP and SP needles
 All Made in the USA
 Original authentic 70's  sound, but not muffled.
 Bass and treble boost switches
 3-way speakers with woofer, tweeter, horn and crossover.
 Built-in antennae.
 External jacks for tape, antenna, speakers, headphones.

Delivery is possible"

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/ele/d/vintage-ge-console-am-fm/6422534169.html
Paul

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 06:04:29 PM »
Another image
Paul

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 07:00:23 PM »
One of these from SC would also be a nice choice... even though the cabinet is not exactly the style you showed.

-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 11:54:54 AM »
Thanks for all that - sorry - been away!

Yes, we had a '58 DeSoto recently, and the 'net name has kind of stuck!

That GE console in Northport is pretty, but a bit far, hope to find one within an hour or 2...
the others are sweet too!

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 09:55:05 PM »
Somewhere I have a photo of a '58 DeSoto, owned by a neighbor, after he drove into a train.  He was a former college professor, one of the founders of the Univ. of Michigan aeronautical engineering school, who later left with several of his best students to form a company that made vanes for jet engine rotors.  He was very bright and often given to being lost in thought.  Well, one day he was lost in thought as he approached a railroad crossing, in broad daylight, with a train passing.  Smacked right into it.  He survived but this was pre-seatbelt, pre-airbag, so his legs were banged up and he limped for the rest of his life.

Chris Campbell

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 09:00:39 AM »
I'm going to go look at the Symphonic console, we really like the simple EA design of it, not overdone, and the cabinet looks to be in excellent condition, vital for LR use and display. Does anyone know anything about them? Looking around on the 'net they seem to have made a lot of portables and some consolettes or low-ish end models, but this one does look a little nicer than most that I saw. Was Symphonic an actual manufacturing company or were they made by somebody else? It's advertized as "AMC Symphonic", iirc AMC was a buying co-op of nicer Dept. stores in the 50s/60s, at least in Baltimore they were, and those stores probably would have not been selling junky products?

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 02:46:34 PM »
That is a nice looking console.  I was under the assumption that Symphonic was a cheaper brand but your picture looks to be a solid wood piece of furniture.  What I can see under the hood doesn't look bad either.  Maybe someone else can shed some light.

Bill

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 02:38:15 PM »
Yes, it does look like a decent unit, unfortunately the ad has been deleted, so I'm not sure that it's available any longer. bummer. Will call to make sure, it was at a used furniture store.

The wife has nixed the idea of using the modern-style dual console RCA in dark mahogany that we recently picked up (ie: saved from the dump), as all our LR furniture is light maple-teak, kind of honey colored, and she's right, really, it would stick out, and I couldn't shoe-horn them into my tiny 9 x 10 office, so just listed it for Trade or Sale here, I want to keep them intact, and will  keep looking, or will make a console out of the naked Barzilay cabinet we picked up at the same closed furniture store here... it's wood color is pretty close to that which is in our LR and I could put components we already have in it, will post looking for ideas here on that. But would prefer to find an intact vintage console in light wood color!!