Author Topic: Possibly the ugliest Magnavox ever built  (Read 940 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Possibly the ugliest Magnavox ever built
« on: December 16, 2017, 12:13:14 PM »
What in the world was Magnavox thinking when they ALLEGEDLY built this nasty-looking thing?  The pictures are not close up enough to tell if it is for sure a Magnavox, but the knobs look right.  This does not really belong under "Magnificent" Magnavox, but we don't have an "Atrocious" Magnavox board........ ;)

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/atq/d/vintage-magnavox-stereo/6424624385.html
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Possibly the ugliest Magnavox ever built
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 02:39:08 PM »
I don't know... if the finish were restored or replaced, it might be a handsome trestle table.  The plastic-trim "Mediterranean" models get my nod for ugliest ever.

But now we're in the area of taste, and that's almost as dangerous as politics and religion.

I have to go back and look at the pics again--where are the speakers?

Chris Campbell

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 04:24:38 PM »
Probably bottom firing.  Furniture in general during that time was quite taste challenged, so that was what they had to work with.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 03:41:12 PM »
The bicentennial.   That explains it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 03:55:49 PM »
YIKES!!!  And everybody says French Provincial is ugly???

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 04:41:21 PM »
That one is pretty ugly, too.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 07:21:56 PM »
OK, I'll stir the pot.  I kinda like both the trestle table version and the blanket chest version that you guys are all piling on. They're more authentic attempts at reproductions than the "early American" consoles we usually see.  Both, I'll note, were beat up and not cleaned up at all.  I won't comment on how they sound and perform, which is another subject altogether.  But as to looks and design, they're more likely to fit into an interior of similar style.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 07:55:19 PM »
I guess if you had some orange shag carpet, a disco ball and a pile of Village People records......... ;)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 09:21:50 PM »
No, no, no.  You're thinking of Mediterranean, beyond any doubt the greatest style error ever made by any company.  Nothng quite compares in awfulness, and the orange shag is what it needs.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 09:59:03 PM »
Well, maybe......

Did I get the disco ball and Village People records part right?   ;)

Ugly is still ugly.   :-X

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 11:25:09 AM »
I saw a Dry sink Magnavox console at Goodwill one time. I don't have a picture of it but it was pretty weird also ?

bluetantra

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 10:43:19 AM »
Here's one of the "Library Table" models on the magnavoxhistory web site that they date from 1974:

http://magnavoxhistory.com/portfolio/1974-turntable-2/
Music:  the other non-addictive, mood altering non-substance.  Ask your doctor if Music is right for you! Common side effects include but are not limited to uncontrolled head-bobbing, toe-tapping, finger snapping, selective hearing impairment, and persistent melody flashbacks.

ha1156w

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 02:38:02 AM »
That bicentennial console was part of their "Spirit of 76" collection, along with the blanket chest console also linked in.  Gotta admit they were trying anything to move product at the time, having just undergone the sale to Philips.  The ads I've seen for the first, trestle-table "console" show it as having external speakers, like were used to go with the component systems they sold.  Both of these appear to have the bottom-of-the-line changer and receiver modules to boot.

Remember that many households still had the Early American furniture as a holdover from the early 60's.  In the southern US at least, early american furnishings were e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e.  Fits into their "country" vibe I suppose.  Nobody bought into Danish Modern here it seems and resisted modern as much as they could! :)

Tedrick

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 07:54:40 AM »
just picked up one of the Spirit of 76 series this past week - it's definitely the nicest of the 8 or so magnavoxes I've brought home -- I'm in the process of recapping it - the unit was pristine and sounds great - I need some experience with recapping though, so this is my first patient --

Does anyone know what these consoles sold for back in the mid 70s?

I am a child of the 70s/80s so this brings back a lot of good memories - all of my relatives were heavy into this style of decorating --

I have the 1672_3n photofact for chassis R34305 --