Author Topic: A Friday Evening Blues Program  (Read 299 times)

19and41

• View Profile
A Friday Evening Blues Program
« on: December 23, 2017, 04:13:59 PM »
This is presented by the same gent who has the saturday night jazz program.  I accidentally caught it on my car radio for the trip home from work and can heartily recommend it.  As with the other program, you can stream it.

https://www.wabe.org/shows/blues-classics/
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
Re: A Friday Evening Blues Program
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 12:48:54 PM »
You are the luckiest guy I know when it comes to good radio shows.  All we have here on AM is Spanish, sports and talk.  FM is not much better.  Shooting skip is impossible with all the cell towers around here.  There are so many they disguise them to look like palm trees.  Absolutely no way to get much east of the New Mexico border.  KOA out of Denver when the wind blows just right. 

KOY was on 550 AM from 1927 to 2104.  Clear Channel/I-Heart bought the station and moved KOY to 1230.  They finally pulled the plug.  KOY went from the oldest radio station in AZ to off the air totally.  They use to play good music.  At the last it was mostly Motown, and repetitive Motown at that.  KSAZ in Tucson died about the same time.  It was at 560.  KMYL was the best AM station we ever had in Phoenix.  It did not last long.  They were affliiated with Wink Martindale and his Music of Your Life format.  KOOL AM played oldies and died about the same time as KOY.  I sure wish Clear Channel/I-Heart would go away so the AM stations could become independent and innovative again.

There is a little flea-power FM station in Missouri that is really good.  They play a little of everything and have live DJ's from 6am to 6pm.  They go off the air at dark.  I only have one radio that will pick it up, since it is about 60 miles to the north.  This little station is at 101.3 FM and there is a more powerful rock station, closer, at 101.1.  How this station stays in business is anyone's guess.

We also have 97.1 (The AD) that plays "Baby's Got Her Bluejeans On" eighteen times a day and airs 42 minutes of commercials an hour.   
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

AstroSonic100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 12:56:54 PM »
Electra225 I know what you mean.  I live in Sacramento area and there is no music on AM, similar situation that you have.  In the evenings I can pull in KNX 1070 in LA.  I like listening to their "In Depth" program after CBS news at 8:00 pm.  Have the same long distant problem you have going East.  North I can get a station in Seattle and as far away as Calgary Canada in the we small hours of the morning.  FM also stinks.  Only good music was 24 hour Christmas music on an FM station.  We also have a pretty good classical and NPR station.
Ray

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 02:45:32 PM »
I guess I must be somewhat lucky as well.  There are two pretty good country stations that come from south of me and my little town of Hart has it's own station that plays mostly "Oldies" and a little country.  When I get tired of those I listen to XM radio or records, tapes, or CD's. 

Bill

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 04:34:14 PM »
Well, just remember WABE streams these programs live, so you all can have this station.  Just run a audio cord from your computer to the music maker of your choice.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 05:51:24 PM »
There is something about having to stream a decent AM station to hear it that frosts my buns.  A town as big as Phoenix should be able to support a decent radio station.  I realize the demographics and all.  We have lots of boomers around here that would probably support sponsors of such a station.  I forgot about 94.1 (The Ride).  It is broadcast off the San Carlos reservation, 80 miles NE of here.  Its reception is variable down here in the Valley.  The car radios get it pretty well.  My Magnavox stereos do so-so, if you turn off the MPX.  They play a mix of old and new country.  They try to avoid the screech of modern country music for the most part.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 11:26:00 PM »
Well,for those of you without good broadcast options, you can catch a good 3-hours Sunday evening blues program ere:
http://wcmu.org/radio/theJukeJoint/
It runs from 8 p.m. to 11 Eastern time.  Choose the "listen live" tab at the top.  Those of s in Michigan can listen the right way, on the radio.

Chris Campbell

Modern Concerto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 11:29:09 PM »
Wow, sorry to hear the radio "pickings" are so slim in some areas.  I guess we are blessed in the Norfolk area to have a long running AM oldies station, WJOI which is a Westwood One "America's Best Music" station (no local DJs) but plays a good mix of music from the 60s to the early 90s and favoring the 70s.  And this summer we had a re-launch of WGH which had been a staple of local radio for years.  Music is mostly from the 60s to early 70s and they are playing local advertising spots that had aired on the station back in the day.  Between those two and two NPR stations on FM (one for talk programs in the day and contemporary music in the evening and the other station playing classical music 24/7) the console in the living room and the Admiral AA5 radio in the kitchen are always playing something good.