Author Topic: 1963 Danish Classic  (Read 1777 times)

19and41

• View Profile
1963 Danish Classic
« on: December 23, 2017, 04:28:11 PM »
This will continue from the Topic "Unknown Model".  Fortunately, both the capacitor replacements for the demultiplexer were delivered as of yesterday, and I am now replacing those.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
Re: 1963 Danish Classic
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 05:17:07 PM »
The two little electrolytics? 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 07:28:25 PM »
Yes.  I replaced 1 and the other was a mylar wrap.  It should have been an electrolytic.  Now to wait on another from Indianapolis.
Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 04:46:19 PM »
Today I removed the hardware from one of the sliders and tried some 0000 steel wool and the acetone/lacquer thinner it removed much of the pigmented finish, but the areas where the spill took place appears to remain darker than the unaffected areas.  The darkening is of a black color in the pores and a broader darkening of the area as though some oil like liquid had been applied.  Removing the toned finish reduces the contrast but it is there waiting for some finish to accentuate it again.
Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »
Here's what the lid looked after drying out.  bear in mind that it's now dry, flat and unfinished. the darkened areas are close to the cabinet's finish but has blackened pores and this is without finish. The cabinet remains finished.

Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 11:06:25 AM »
That is looking pretty good.  Have you considered using Van Dyke brown or black grain filler and try to hide the rest of that?  What type of finish are you considering for the cabinet?  Would you consider trying 320 grit sandpaper on a block GINGERLY, and see if some more of the stain disappears?  The steel wool/acetone method was a good one as a first step.  I would not worry about the slider in the second picture.  Dark grain filler will fix it.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 11:24:06 AM »
Well, at this time I didn't want to refinish the cabinet, just clean it up somewhat and the grille cloth is looking quite acceptable too.  The undone slider has more darkened area to it.  I just need a way to get a consistent color on the sliders without having it look like I spilled something on it, or conversely having it look like i got the sliders from a darker color set.  I can't get it in a picture, but the sliders look like someone spilled a bottle of furniture oil, making a irregular puddle on each slider and the rest is dry of the oil, if you know what I mean.  The final finish with no other alterations will exaggerate that effect, and I will have a well preserved spill damage beneath the finish.  I might seem awfully tentative on the solution, it's just that the result will be pretty much permanent and  I want to do the right thing.
Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 12:17:28 PM »
You can always use some bleach in darkened areas.  I usually use regular Clorox, although you can buy an oxalic-acid bleach made for wood if you're really serious. 

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 12:29:26 PM »
Perhaps if you refinished that top edge of the cabinet like you refinish the sliders, any "cheating" to clean up the sliders might not be noticeable.  We had a rule in the classic car business.  "Highlight what you are trying to hide."  If you have a hubcap with a slight ding, put it on the left front.  The car show judge will never see it.  Why? He is expecting it to be on the right rear, where he finds a perfect hubcap.  Same with bumpers.  ALWAYS rechrome the rear one.  A judge will never look closely at the front one.  He EXPECTS it to be perfect, so no use to look.  If the top of the cabinet looks nice to you, the rest always will.   ;)

Be careful using bleach on the sliders.  The veneer is over masonite.  If you get the masonite wet thru the veneer, you may be majorly screwed.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 06:06:33 PM »
I don't want to do any refinishing on the cabinet proper,  but I could use some pointers on removing the surface dirt from it's top surfaces.  I did the other slider and followed up with wetting them with the solvents and wiping them down.  The final capacitors have come and I can finish the MPX.
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 08:15:49 PM »
I might suggest using waterless hand cleaner, the kind without pumice.  Put some of the cleaner on a pad of 0000 steel wool.  Rub gently with the grain.  The steel wool will work with the cleaner to remove a surprising amount of dirt.  After you feel it is clean, use a damp cloth to remove the residue.  When you get it clean enough that nothing comes off on the rinse rag, let the cabinet dry well.  Maybe a couple days.  Then give the work a good coat of furniture wax and rub it out well.  Good luck.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 08:42:28 PM »
I still have some from the hepplewhite.  I'll try that. Thanks.
Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 11:26:20 AM »
Seems like every weekend the cold moves in.  Can't get very much done in an unheated garage.  I have used pigmented oil on the sliders.  They are dark but they match without much of the splotchiness that they had.  I used the hand cleaner and steel wool on the cabinet and it cleaned and shined it up nicely. 
Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 03:02:36 PM »
When I disassembled the unit, I carefully took pictures of all of the interconnects to make it easy to get things back together.  When I started reassembling the unit, I found that the SD card had failed in the camera.I am trying to set it up in a way that it may work, but I can't get any audio out of the unit.  I have had some help on it.  but the reciever, a 7909-10 is not marked like anything my helper nor any schematic representation shows.  All I have as a reference is the original as-built drawing.  Mine has the MPX modification and I'm not sure how it is to be connected.  I have also finally found it's tag.  It is a 1ST621
Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 11:03:06 AM »
Had some off time and started by toning out the speakers.  They are fine.  I inspected the aamplifier for any wiring errors, found none and put it back into place and connected just the receiver to the molex trunk and connected my receiver substitute to the amp input .  It played through just fine, so as I have already tried the receiver directly through to the amp.  The problem lies with the receiver and or MPXassembly.  The controls on the receiver are just fine.
Arthur C. Clarke