Author Topic: Astro Sonic Capacitor question  (Read 335 times)

D.Train23

• View Profile
Astro Sonic Capacitor question
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:36:03 PM »
Hey guys!

I'm in the process of recapping my first Maggie R204-14-00 and have a question on some capacitor ratings/types. I've downloaded the schematics and they aren't specific on the type or capacity measurement listed. I'm kind of a rookie when it comes to recapping but I believe these are all film caps. They have clear ends (one end is red) with what appears to be a foil center.

Here is what the schematics is telling me

C58 = .005 (no voltage)
C66 =  560 60V 10%
C69 =  270 60v 10%
C71 = .0047 125V 10%
C74 = .001 160V 10%

What are the correct capacitance ratings I need to order for these? What does the red end of the capacitors indicate?

This is the schematics I'm using
http://vintagehifi.net/index.php?action=dldir;sa=details;lid=142

I'll attach a pic of one of the caps in question. Any guidance is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Derrick

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Astro Sonic Capacitor question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 09:08:42 PM »
First, my disclaimers:  I'm no expert on transistor equipment, and don't know the typical failure modes in these Magnavox devices.

That said, I suspect that wholesale capacitor replacement is much less important than in tube-based equipment, which typically operates at much higher DC voltages and temperatures.  Electrolytics, yes, they die and make things sound cruddy, and when they go belly-up in the power supply they can kill transformers just as effectively as in tube-based equipment.  But the rest of 'em, seems to me that they're a concern only if there's some malfunction.

Let's see what others think.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 10:53:07 PM »
All I know is what I've read.  I have never actually repaired a solid state device in my life.  There are several good threads on Magnavox solid state instruments on here.  We have members on here who are well-experienced with solid state stuff.  Hopefully they will chime in here to set you straight.  I'd probably replace all the paper and electrolytic caps like I would in a tube instrument.  Good luck.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

choppinrice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 01:30:16 AM »
I have to agree with the above. I would change c1 thru c28 and leave the rest alone. Now if visually they look damaged or defective you can change them out. Not all types capacitors are failure prone.Then test the unit out completely and see how it performs.

D.Train23

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 04:59:16 AM »
Thanks for the replies. There is nothing visually wrong with any of the capacitor and I've already replaced all the electrolytic caps on this unit but I'm placing an order for caps on my Onkyo TX2500 MKII and thought I might as well toss in these ones for the Maggie.