Author Topic: 1963 Danish Classic  (Read 4225 times)

19and41

• View Profile
Re: 1963 Danish Classic
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 11:52:34 AM »
It appears the receivers' 6EU7 AF output tube has failed.  Ordered another.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 09:38:57 PM »
6EU7 !!!   RCA was really  being defiant with their newer tubes pinouts.   Their 7027 (   improvement of 6L6), their 7199  (6U8 improvement )  and 6EU7 (12AX7 improvement)  had different pinouts than the older types that were standardized for ten or more types each.  They claimed benefits like less hum from better wiring possible, or improved screen grid heat dissipation from 2 pins per grid
but I think it was plain old ego like Edison using vertical recording instead of everyone else's lateral when he went from cylinders to disks.  Hope you are able to get your tubes and maybe some spares too.   Ed

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 10:27:43 PM »
The tube seems to make sense also in light of diminishing the size of electronic devices.  They have held up well, also with this being the second aftermarket tube in the console, after the rectifier.  It will be an aftermarket tube too as I am not going to pay through the nose for a Magnavox roll stamp.   ;D
Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 09:24:29 PM »
I guess sometime next week I'll be able to finish off the electronics.  I am making arrangements with Habitat For Humanity to take the sectional and coffee table.  Then I can move the console in.
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 12:51:28 PM »
Using the horrible 6EU7 tube is one of Magnavox's Achilles Heels.  The older tuner/amp setups and the bi-amps used the 12AT7 and 12AX7 instead of the 6EU7.  Low noise, my foot.  The 6EU7 can cause all sorts of odd problems.  The suffer from heater/cathode shorts and get gassy when they get really hot.  Many factory-branded Magnavox 6EU7's are made by GE.  I have been told that RCA and Sylvania supplied them as well.  Sylvania tubes seem to hold up better and have fewer problems.  They never made a good 6EU7 in my opinion.  Every one is suspect.  Magnavox started using the 6EU7 the same time they started using the 6CA4 rectifier.  Fortunately, they had better luck with the 6CA4's. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 08:56:29 PM »
So what was the rationale for changing from established successful tube types?  Gee, Magnavox stuck with 6V6s forever and didn't seem to feel the need to experiment. 

Chris Campbell

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 10:25:59 PM »
They changed their tube lineup in the stereo amp/power supply as well.  I would imagine it was just new series of tubes introduced at the time and it also appeared to have some European influence in tube design.  Multiple function tubes were a matter of some interest, though they were in use during the '20's and '30's in Germany.  1960 seemed to be like the millennium as far as starting with a clean slate and brave new ideas.
Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 12:11:42 AM »
I can understand things like the Nuvistor, but sometimes we seem to value innovation simply for its own sake without regard for substantive improvement in function.

Chris Campbell

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 07:17:46 AM »
You seem to have captured the 1960's in a nutshell.   :D
Arthur C. Clarke

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 06:59:07 PM »
       I agree with you all concerning the "change-for-the-sake-of-change" mentality that a lot of people, young and not-so-young, embrace. They enjoy stirring the pot just to take an unpopular view and draw attention to themselves, Sadly, these people often get the lion's share of promotions and recognition,  from publish-or-perish academics to planners of obsolescence in cell phones or computer software.
      There's a timeless beauty in something like a 70 year old Magnavox chassis (which 99 % of their owners never saw) with the warm glow of filaments and cathodes, the softly lit glass dials, even the richly colored components and wires under the chassis. If the full EIA color code was followed you could do a lot of troubleshooting without a schematic. Or the record changer compartment which lit when you lifted the lid. Or the red jewel that told you power was on when all lids were closed.
       Compare all these visual treats to an all transistor chassis with circuit boards that looks like its not even plugged into the AC power. No wonder kids aren't interested in electronic audio these days.
        Had to get that off my chest. I can't wait to get the first sounds out of my recently acquired CR-155 chassis.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 07:29:06 PM »
I know it's sacrilege to many here, but I think I would have been about as happy with a solid state unit. (my dad had one and it performed well) I do like the look and feel of tube architecture though, but after all, the music is the thing for me.
Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 08:15:44 PM »
Agree on the quality of the music as the first consideration.  My living-room system is modern and solid-state.  It's all fun to play with.  And I also agree with the romance.  One of the wonderful things for me to contemplate is driving down the road late at night in an old car, AM radio edge-lighted slide-rule dial glowing in the dash off to the left, bringing me some good music or some news from way, far away.  There were times in grad school when that little fantasy got me past a pile of anxieties and worries.  And I've said before, there's still something magic about picking these tiny signals out of the air and hearing music from them.  One more thing for me is the wonderful variety of ways to get to the same result.  The goal?  Receive and detect a signal we can hear.  The method?  A gazillion different approaches to Rf and AF design.  Most rely on common principles but there are different ways to implement them.  Save a penny here, or add a dime there to get a boost in performance.  It's why I never turn down a radio or audio device.

Chris Campbell

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 08:31:57 PM »
Yes, that's true, when Magnavox went transistor, they retained all the traditional style of their tube consoles, such as the edge lit glass slide rule dial, pilot lamp, sliding lids, etc. My mother's Astrosonic, given to her in '67 by my grandfather, is in my living room now and its never been worked on.  I never dared take it apart any more than I would take apart her piano.  It spent it's first 60 years in the same living room location up against the hot water baseboard. Magnavoxes are like upright pianos. They plant themselves into the carpet and once in the sockets, they never leave the spot, like the dining room credenza. Like the seventh blue Buick sedan in a row. in the garage. Predictable.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2018, 11:06:08 PM »
I have my third black Buick out in the garage....... ;) 

I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2018, 02:49:01 PM »
Just finished Putting the unit back together.  Listening to Kenton In Hi Fi.  It was worth the trouble.  I've set up a temporary turntable to use with it.  The thing sounds just great!
Arthur C. Clarke