Author Topic: 1966 Electra issues  (Read 170 times)

MoreAnalog

• View Profile
1966 Electra issues
« on: December 30, 2017, 03:13:59 PM »
This was a great console and it's not too soon for some actual restoration.  It's been in the family since it was new in Spring '66 and has had one repair that I know of, a transistor replaced.  Since it was moved across the state, I listened carefully and detected a few possible glitches.  The show-stopper right now is one that I first detected (you couldn't miss it!) the second or third time I used it here in my house in 2008.  It didn't happen again till a few days ago.  That is:  I was using the FM radio, and very soon after the tubes warmed up and there was any volume, it was at or near max.  I quickly turned off the unit to try to prevent speaker or other damage.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I have, so far, only found a match to that symptom in a recent brand of car stereo, where something connected to the potentiometer is defective.
In general I am a newbie to much console repair--the most I've done in the past is slide the console forward to get to the back, but I don't know how easy it is to remove the chassis if necessary.  One reason that might be a good skill to acquire is if I find people at a distance willing to repair the chassis.  I don't think any electronics store here in the St. Louis area makes house calls, although there is an Antique Radio Society.
I do think I found the exact repair manual for my console on the fisherconsoles web site.
P.S.  If the problem I described is near the potentiometer, that is not in the chassis, I believe, as the knobs and such are at the control panel that is accessed from the front and the top.

electra225

• View Profile
Re: 1966 Electra issues
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 08:09:34 PM »
By the title of your thread, I wondered if you were working on a Buick......... :-[

I would start by cleaning the volume control on your stereo and noting any effect.  Good luck.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....