Author Topic: Kennedy's Fisher  (Read 777 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Kennedy's Fisher
« on: December 31, 2017, 11:37:20 PM »
The New Year's celebration was at my sister's house.  She dug out some old  summer 1964 tabloid-style school magazines aimed at kids--National Scholastic? One of them had a piece on JFK, dead only a few months at that point.  The article included a photo of his Fisher console.  It was a mid- to low-level model with a lower-end Garrard changer, maybe an AT-6.  Nothing fancy but very adequate.

Chris Campbell

walyfd

• View Profile
Re: Kennedy's Fisher
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 06:31:34 AM »
If it's the photo I recall, it was actually Joe and Rose's and was in the house at the Cape.  You're right, it was a mid-range like an Electra.

There was always a story that Avery installed either a President console or did a custom job for the private residence but no proof has surfaced.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 07:24:47 PM »
My sister reminds me that the publication was the Weekly Reader.  The photo showed the amp, tuner, and turntable of the console, with an LP sleeve and an LP sitting on top.  The caption said that JFK enjoyed listening to Irish music.  I will try to snap a photo of it while I'm here.

Chris Campbell

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 04:39:17 AM »
That'd be great.  This is one I'm not familiar with.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 07:31:46 PM »
Let's see if I can get the photo attached.  It's from "My Weekly Reader," Vol. V, Issue 7 (July 27-31, 1964), p. 3.

Chris Campbell

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 08:01:34 PM »
That looks like The Fisher “Allegro”.  It was a small table top console with fold out speakers.
Paul

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 04:43:05 AM »
Definitely looks like an Allegro.  Maybe they used that as their portable  (1960's ipod).

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 10:34:07 AM »
There was a post recently, I believe on AK, or somewhere, by an older guy who installed the stereo in the WH for JFK.  He was employed I think as an engineer at Stromberg-Carlson,
part of General Dynamics, a major defense contractor, to do this and gave a very detailed account of his time installing it around 1961. He had to modify some bookcases to conceal the speakers, which apparently are still there! I had a S-C console once, very impressive with sealed enclosure well isolated speakers and true components in it! So the main stereo in the WH of JFK evidently was not a Fisher!