Author Topic: Happy New Year...Thanks for adding me!  (Read 555 times)

gcmarsh43

• View Profile
Happy New Year...Thanks for adding me!
« on: January 02, 2018, 07:30:29 AM »
Hello from Richmond, VA!
I am retired, and now have a place and the time to practice skills that have been dormant for years!
 My first system was in 1961, and was an Acrousound Ultralinear 20/20, pair of Stevens bookshelf 8"
 speakers, Garrard RC98 and Eico HF85 pre-amp. Still have the Garrard and Eico, and they work just fine! I've collected several other pieces over the years, Dyna, Rek-o-Kut, other Garrards, some Duals,
 a magnificent showroom quality Motorola Drexel console, etc.

I work on almost anything from antique radios to '70's stereo gear. Presently,  have restored an RCA 7-HF with the RP 205 changer. The electronics were a piece of cake, just recapped the amp. The changer has presented two vexing issues: setting the tonearm for a 12" platter results in the 10" and 7" drop points being well outside the rim, and; the last record in a stack drops, and the changer shuts off. Other than these, it works like new. Any thoughts???

Also, I have inherited a collection of SAMs Photofacts from a shop that closed 25 years ago. I may have something you need, so let me know. Found the set for a 1963 Telefunken Salzburg console that I may be working on, as well as for the RCA 7-HF!

Looking forward to sharing knowledge with you...

George

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Happy New Year...Thanks for adding me!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 11:35:39 AM »
Which Rek-O-Kut?  I've got a Rodine Jr. (L-34).  You'll have lots of buddies if you've got Photofacts!  In fact, I don't suppose you have one for a Sparton 1081?  I have one that had the SW band disconnected, a WW II era practice of American families of German extraction who wanted to provide assurances of their patriotism.  Figuring out how to reconnect from the Rider online schematic is challenging.

Chris Campbell

gcmarsh43

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 07:57:18 PM »
Hi Chris,

My Rek-O-Kut is an N-33-H that I have had since 1968.

My SAMs don't go back that far, but here is what is in Ryders. If you need higher resolution, I can scan the pages in sections. Let me know how it works for you.

George Marshall

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 10:17:53 PM »
That one looks like it will print out with more definition than the Nostalgia Air version. Thank you!

Your N-33H is more elegant than my L-34, an idler-wheel induction motor device.
http://www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/Electronics_Catalog_Extracts/Rek-O-Kut_turntables_disc_recording_1960_REM_24.pdf

But the L-34 is built like a tank.  I bought mine for $5 from a guy with a pile of them, apparently removed from some multiple turntable installation.  The price included the older, mono version of the S-120 tonearm shown in the link.  I bought it in 1969. Art Dudley of Stereophile magazine had a column on rebuilding one a couple years ago.

Chris Campbell

gcmarsh43

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 08:36:49 AM »
Hi Chris,

I'm pleased that the .jpg will aid you in your quest! Let me know if you need any section expanded.

I've had the N-33-H since 1968/9, and it has been out of service for some years now, due to lack of space. It still works well, but I need to do some work on the leads in the headshell. Now that I am of that certain time in life, small and delicate soldering isn't as straight forward as it used to be.

TTFN

George

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 06:36:48 PM »
Welcome George and welcome to retirement.  I found that in retirement I'm busier than when I was working 60 plus hours a week.   :)

Bill