Author Topic: Sorry, I have been holding out..... my new Fisher President  (Read 519 times)

vintage cltr

• Global Moderator
  • they're real and they're spectacular
    • View Profile
Sorry, I have been holding out..... my new Fisher President
« on: January 02, 2018, 11:18:34 AM »
Purchased on 12/23 outside Chicago.

Yeah, I know its pretty empty - missing the turner, the preamp, the amps, the speakers, and original turntable.

But it's a President. Over the years, I was familiar with gutting consoles, but I have never took on anything of this magnitude. The rebuild will not be easy, but now that the B&H 866 is done, I need something to do.

The other inspiration was watching Pat rebuild his Concert Grand cabinet, which was in similar condition.

After some research, I'm thinking it's a '59 - '60. I'll know more when the Ampex 960 gets pulled out. There should be a date underneath it.
Loud and Vintage.... any questions?

firedome

• View Profile
Re: Sorry, I have been holding out..... my new Fisher President
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 10:49:14 AM »
I was "sort of" guilty of this in a way. In 2001 a "Wanted vintage stereos" ad I put in the local PennySaver was answered by a fellow in a small tourist town here in upstate NY who had a French Provincial style Fisher President (1960 or 61?) that had been leaked on badly in poor storage and the wood cabinet ruined, and he had already taken the components out when he called me. He had the SA300 amp, 400CX preamp, FM 200 tuner, ELAC Miracord TT and same Ampex as here. I bought the first 4 for what seemed like a lot to me then, $300, but later when I need some $ for home improvements I ended up selling them all to Al Pugliese the "Fisher Doc" in Staten Island, whom I knew from my audio writing days and knew would restore them right, for a good profit but an amount that pales to what they'd bring now! No idea what happened to them after that, but I sure wish I had kept them!