Author Topic: introduction ed from Baltimore  (Read 322 times)

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
introduction ed from Baltimore
« on: January 16, 2018, 02:00:15 AM »
Hi from Baltimore, just moved to Bethany Beech , Delaware,  leaving behind 99 % of a large collection of tubes, parts, schematics, books, and test equipment that makes me cry to think   of. I did manage to keep my mothers 68 Astrosonic console whose main problem is misaligned FM detector and noisy controls. I just purchased (on ebay) a 1941 cr-155 chassis  , trying to get a schematic as I cant figure out what the 6AB7 tube does. There's a 6SK7, 6SA7, 6SK7, 6H6, 6J5, 6J5, 6V6, 6V6, 5Y3, 6E5, There's Standard Broadcast and 2 short wave bands, no FM. Maybe some kind of dedicated phono preamp ?  I also have some German tube radios that might be considered console sized in a cramped European apartment ?  some Zenith Transoceanics, some wooden table radios, and my grandmothers 57 RCA console, TV only. Used to have a Magnavox Belvedere cabinet only. Also about to haul in my aunts 1961 ? Magnavox console and fix it up for my niece's husband.  I'd love to hear about your collections and ongoing projects and hope to share my hard-fought experiences with anyone with similar problems. This forum is a dream come true for me. I hope this posts ok, I'm not good at chatting or posting at all.

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
Re: introduction ed from Baltimore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 02:32:03 AM »
This is Ed replying to my own intro.  I can't believe I misspelled Beach as Beech, in the first sentence no less, and it passed a careful proofreading because I wanted to make a good first impression !   It didn't cause a redline misspell alert I guess because of beech wood and beech tree.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 10:05:44 AM »
Welcome aboard, Ed.  I have been known to hit the wrong key myself.  It happens to everyone occasionally.

I am not as familiar with the older Magnavox mono chassis as I should be, but I will add that Magnavox did not typically provide a seperate phono amp.  A 6AB7 sounds like a front end tube to me.  Good luck.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 03:02:33 PM »
Welcome Ed!

You are doing just fine on the forum so nothing to worry about.  It's too bad you had to leave behind all your treasures.  Sometimes it just can't be helped especially if you are going to smaller quarters.  Enjoy the forum and do lots of reading, take a look at the downloads section and don't forget the photo gallery.  I think you will fit right in.

Bill

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 01:49:47 AM »
Welcome Aboard!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 01:41:25 PM »
Hiya and Welcome Ed!
I'm in central NY, but originally born in Bawlamer (Towson actually) and the wife's from Catonsville, and we lived in Westminster for 30 years before moving North. Where in Charm City were you located? 

My thing is old audio consoles and components, I too had to downsize from a roomful to a couple of favorite pieces, but still have an RCA tube caddy full for spares! Lots of good help and advice here... good luck with your projects!  BTW I saw a cool RCA tube stereo console for sale in Perry Hall not too long ago, so there's still good stuff around down there!
Roger A in Binghamton NY

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 06:14:05 PM »
Hi Ed,
I hope you are doing some reading and taking a looksee on the forum.  You will find most of us have told stories, shared projects, and shown pictures of our projects so you can see what we have or are working on.  Also our avatars can show pictures of what we treasure. 

Hope you enjoy it all Ed.

Bill